That button doesn't work in New Articles. It's supposed to take me to the first unread post in the thread, but it doesn't.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

I'm sorry :( Advertising has been killer at taking up my time this week.

That's ok Dani, not a big deal. When you get around to it would you also see why there are no avatars in that forum?

News stories aren't supposed to have avatars. Which forum are you talking about?

Editorial link. But its ok if you didn't intend for them to have avatars.

That button doesn't work in New Articles. It's supposed to take me to the first unread post in the thread, but it doesn't.

Where DOES it take you? Unfortunately, I'm having a problem trying to duplicate this.

It takes me to the original post of the thread.

I suspect you are clicking the wrong button. The one I'm talking about has this description:

"You have posted in this thread and there are new posts: Click icon to go to your first unread post"

Hmm, okay. I can't seem to find the icon at all, although I do notice the problem when I click the purple 'New' icon on the forum listings page.

Neither "Go to first new post" nor "Go to last post" links work for news stories.

I get the button when I click on "New Posts" in the purple ribbon at the bottom of the screen. Maybe you need to post in one of those news items then wait for someone else to post in order to see the button I mean.

Right ... that's the problem though. It's super impossible to debug when I need to wait for someone else to post to a news story while being careful to avoid viewing/posting in a thread in the same forum.

Don't you have two different accounts that you can use? Create your own news story and use it for your testing with two or three different accounts.

But it's against the rules to have multiple accounts :)

In any case, I was able to get an example of it. Need to debug. :)

Go to the Geeks Lounge, find the thread
" News Story: U.S. Military Bans Medal of Honor's Sale From Its Bases--Has Censorship Gone Too Far? "
Click either the Go To New Post button on the left or the Go To Last Post link on the right. Both take you to the top of the OP.

>>But it's against the rules to have multiple accounts

That shouldn't apply to Admins. You can do anything :)
Besides, there are members who do have multiple accounts.

I'm sure it's entirely related to the same issue that you're already debugging but news stories seem to be amongst the only types of threads that when I click on the name of the person who posted last in the threads list of whichever forum they're in brings me consistently to the first post only. (ie: it's not just the links within the thread but the one outside of the thread as well)... Just thougt I'd mention it.

As example, currently Ardav was the most recent person to post in the story about the US military bases banning medal of honor but if I click his name from the thread list it'll bring me to the top of the thread instead of his post.

>>But it's against the rules to have multiple accounts

No it isn't. It's against the rules to have an multiple accounts to circumvent a ban. Besides, I know you have multiple accounts, so if you're saying that it's against the rules to have multiple accounts, I should ban you right now :)

On topic: I think this problem also exists with snippets, but for some reason the "code-snippet" prefix is no longer visible?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.