Happy Thanksgiving!

This is a minor annoyance, but it's happened to me 3 times in 2 days so I figured I'd letcha know.

I'm using Chrome 7.0.517.44 and when I've gotten a PM, the screen goes "dark" (as usual) but no dialog pops up and the browser gets stuck (I have to hit back to get a working page again).

It could be just me, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Also using 7.0.517.44 and no such problems here, and I read/reply to tons of PMs every day in my role as Community Admin as you might imagine.

Hmmm. Okay. I'll toy around with my add-ins. Thanks for verifying.

Member Avatar for diafol

Ha jonsca, I bet Dani saw you spamming the members to get more activity points, so she pranked you!

Dammit, my secret is out. I guess I'll have to go back to solving and unsolving my threads. :P

Ardav, you've been at Chrome much longer than I have, I guess you haven't run into this?

Member Avatar for diafol

Frayed knot!

Well actually, I don't get any popups when I've got a new PM. Am I supposed to? Perhaps I turned off the option. Can you do that?

Yes, you can turn that option off.

It hasn't happened for the last few, but I think I was actively scrolling when the ones that caused the freezing came in.

We use an out-of-the-box version of the jQuery UI (jqueryui.com) toolkit to do the popup. It is a very popular toolkit and I'd be surprised if there were any bugs as large as no Chrome support.

Try playing around with the dialog box demos at http://jqueryui.com/demos/dialog/ to see if you can reproduce the error. If so, it would be very much appreciated if you could submit a bug report to The jQuery Project, since it is a very actively deveolped project that a lot of people, including myself, use.

The only other thing I could think of is that a particular ad on DaniWeb loaded for you and broke the popup. You might only be experiencing it in Chrome because ads sometimes display based on cookies, which are browser independant.

I tried playing around with their demos and couldn't reproduce it. I couldn't test my theory that it happened when the dialog popped up in conjunction with me scrolling on the page.

I shouldn't have the ads, I've turned them off.

Okay. Well, I'll solve this one for now, but if it acts up again I'll reinvestigate it further.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.