I think I've posted on this before, but I find the overall site categorization non-intuitive. "Software Development" vs. "Web Development" doesn't make sense to me. Web development IS software development. I propose the site be organized by software development languages and platforms.

DHTML/AJAX includes working with XML/XSLT, so where do I post? I do my ASP.NET development in C#, so again, where do I post? Where do I post if I have a question about Regular Expressions? Those posts are scattered across the forum.

If I'm working out a Regular Expression, I should be able to post specifically in a RegEx forum, instead of trying to figure out whether to post in PHP, ASP.NET, Java, C#, Legacy and Other Languages, etc.

Likewise, where do VBScript or VBA questions belong? VBScript can be used for Windows Shell Scripting, or for ASP development. And so on...

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

While I agree with you, the flip side is that it's really difficult to organize categories and subcategories in a forum where there is overlap just about everywhere. Every technology can be used with every other technology. That's why we use tags so that you can cross-reference topics. A lot of the newer Q&A communities such as StackOverflow work off of tags alone, completely eliminating the need for a prewritten static selection of categories.

Perhaps it's just the way I work. I tend to need to solve very specific problems, and how they fit into a larger context is a separate, or "meta" issue. Figuring out an XSLT Transform, or even just part of it, is a singular task, and if other programmers on the project use it in a C# class, or within a Document Management System, or as part of a PHP program, isn't necessarily relevant to me. Projects in my environment usually have an "Ask Tom" component and success is measured by how often I hear "that worked!".

I digress. My point is that, if the current site organization works for most Daniweb users, then it works. If others shared a similar frustration and wanted language-specific forums, they would have chimed in... and they didn't. So, thread solved.

Drop me a line, love to catch up with you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.