Can we possibly get a checkbox, or an optional write in so we can know why our posts are voted down?

Some of them seem so random, it would just be nice to know why they are voted down. I like coming here to try and help, and it's not helping if I don't know how I'm not helping...

So.. thanks! :)

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

There's already an optional comment for votes that also applies reputation points. When you click on either an up or down arrow, the comment box will pop up.

Up/Down arrows dont exist for your own post :(

The ability to vote on your own post is infinitely abusable, so we disallow it. ;)

I think youre missing the point...

Maybe Ill ask, instead...

How can I find why someone down voted me?

I think youre missing the point...

Sorry, I assumed that the answer would be obvious given my initial reply.

How can I find why someone down voted me?

Unless they choose to leave a comment, you can't. That's the point; votes are a weak form of reputation, they're both very general (ie. either "I like this post" or "I don't like this post") and largely anonymous.

Just saying, if the purpose of those are to, say, increase the value of posts and help get a general style of response, wouldnt it be helpful if there is a way to see (even if simply general i.e., "off topic", "unclear answer", "abusive", ....) it would help new people to understand why the community at large does not like the post, and help prevent posts that are not contributory.

I was hoping by leading you to the "You can't" conclusion I would bring back my initial request, can we get a checkbox or comment box (maybe it should be mandatory to down vote?), so we can see why we are down voted instead of useless responses?

I was hoping by leading you to the "You can't" conclusion I would bring back my initial request

Which would in turn bring us back to my intitial reply. You didn't lead me to concluding that there's something wrong with the voting system, it's working as designed.

can we get a checkbox or comment box (maybe it should be mandatory to down vote?), so we can see why we are down voted instead of useless responses?

Votes aren't useless, they're a trend metric for determining a member's overall perception among the community. What you're looking for already exists as the reputation system, where comments are required. You're expecting something out of the voting system other than what it was designed for, so the answer to your request, at least for now, is no.

As for being mandatory to down vote, you can't force people to comment if they don't want to comment. They'd just type gibberish or useless comments and we'd be right back at square one.

Correct me if I am wrong but on my profile page is says "Power to affect someone's reputation positively +11" and "negatively -2". I always assumed that these points are only applied if I do an up or down vote with a comment, and if I do not leave a comment the effect is +1/-1. Based on that assumption I might be less inclined to down vote with a comment knowing it would cause a -2 penalty. That's unless I really had a problem with the post such as it being rude, misleading or completely off topic.

If you just click the arrow up or down, it doesn't affect reputation at all.
If you click the arrow and type in a comment, then reputation is usually affected (unless it's in an off-topic forum such as Community Center, or you already gave that person reputation today).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.