DaniWeb, the code behind it, the database, and all DaniWeb's content, is owned by DaniWeb LLC, of which I am the sole member. Of course, without members, the community would die. But that is no different than a small store where if they treat their customers terribly, the store will go out of business. That doesn't mean the store is owned by its customers.

That is the exact same point I was trying to make. I ment "made" as in made it grow.

Anyways that Firefox bug is odd....

Anyways that Firefox bug is odd....

We've seen that one before, and clearing the cache was one of the fixes that corrected it. If you haven't already tried clearing the cache, please do so and see if it helps.

We use a lot of scripting on Daniweb, and occasionally it conflicts with the straight HTML stuff in funky ways when the scripts are out of date. That's why if there's a problem related to scripts, the first suggestion we'll make is to clear your cache.

Again no; The website, code, etc is all written by Daniweb's coding team. But the site itself, its content, its activity, etc is made by the members. Without them, it would die.

DaniWeb is owned by Dani. The coding team is made up of paid employees (and possibly volunteers, although I don't know for sure). The content, for the most part, is produced by volunteers (like me), staffers (who produce news content, etc) and people asking questions. As the owner, Dani has the right to determine what content is acceptable. She does this personally, and through the actions of administrators and moderators. Consider the position of a newspaper. The editors have the right to determine which articles (and which letters) are acceptable for publication and which are not.

If anyone has a problem with how content is administered here they have three options

1. modify their postings to conform to DanuWeb standards of conduct
  2. discuss it with those who manage the forums
  3. go elsewhere

We've seen that one before, and clearing the cache was one of the fixes that corrected it. If you haven't already tried clearing the cache, please do so and see if it helps.

We use a lot of scripting on Daniweb, and occasionally it conflicts with the straight HTML stuff in funky ways when the scripts are out of date. That's why if there's a problem related to scripts, the first suggestion we'll make is to clear your cache.

On FF 18.0.1 (release version) / Windows 7, clearing the cache (Ctrl+F5) resulted in not seeing any upload fields/buttons i.e., clicking on Files gives me the "Files will automatically be attached to the post upon upload. Optionally, you can embed uploaded images within your post." text without a possibility to upload anything -- dang(!)

On FF 18.0.1 (release version) / Windows 7, clearing the cache (Ctrl+F5) resulted in [...]

I'm assuming you meant clearing the cache followed by Ctrl+F5, because Ctrl+F5 by itself just does a hard reload of the page. Reloading the page, even a hard reload, won't do jack diddly. ;) To fully clear the cache you'd go into the advanced browser options and clear cached content from the options provided.

Uh-oh, the story goes on, i.e., after a Ctrl+F5 (and nothing else) the upload feature disappeared (as described above). Then again, after exiting this thread/article and coming back to it, without doing anything cache-related, the upload feature magically reappeared (in its plentifulness).

Moreover, after clearing the cache, I can confirm that the upload feature is still present (again, in its plentifulness).

PS. I could have sworn that once upon a time, Ctrl+F5 made FF clear the cache, but maybe I'm wrong.

PS. I could have sworn that once upon a time, Ctrl+F5 made FF clear the cache, but maybe I'm wrong.

It did, in the sense of forcing a hard download of every file requested by the page and not pulling anything from the cache. Nowadays it seems to be hit-or-miss as web browsers tend to be in a speed war with each other (which browser can load and render a page the fastest?), and CSS and Javascript tricks tend to confuse the situation.

commented: I see, thank you. +0

I actually have my cache disabled (using CacheToggle and browser.privatebrowsing.autostart=true) so its not the cache...

One thing that should be remembered is that no software is perfect, and this applies especially to more complex packages. Then also consider that the 'net, and the browsers used to surf it are in perpetual transformation. Finally, consider the OS all of your projects are working through.

But, if clearing the cache is what may help this problem then this Clear Cache Extention for Firefox is worth trying. (You did say Firefox didn't you?) This extention places a button on your browser, and with one click your cache is clear.

One thing that should be remembered is that no software is perfect, and this applies especially to more complex packages. Then also consider that the 'net, and the browsers used to surf it are in perpetual transformation. Finally, consider the OS all of your projects are working through.

But, if clearing the cache is what may help this problem then this Clear Cache Extention for Firefox is worth trying. (You did say Firefox didn't you?) This extention places a button on your browser, and with one click your cache is clear.

Like I mentioned, my cache is disabled.

Thank Dani :) You seemed to have fixed it and now it shows.

Bad news: You broke it again :(

18.0.2 Windows 7

Refresh my memory. What's the bug?

Refresh my memory. What's the bug?

On Firefox 18.0.2 running on Windows 7 SP1 32 bit, clicking on the Files option, just shows

Files will automatically be attached to the post upon upload. Optionally, you can embed uploaded images within your post.

Without any dialog boxes to upload a file. Works for me on Chrome and IE9. It may be something you are slightly changing as today it works again but like I said 5 days it worked, 22 hours ago it did not work, and today it seems it works. I always CTRL+F5 my pages, all of this while having my cache always disabled, so it wasnt a cache issue...

OK, there is something intresting....

I clicked the Files button and it shows the two dialog boxes. I post this post (this one you are reading right now) and I click Files again and it does not show the two dialog boxes.

Yup, confirmed. Steps to reproduce:

1: Click Files. The two files dialog boxes will appear.
2: Write a post and post it
3: Again click the Files button and it will not appear.

This is the confirmed way to reproduce it.

Thats why for some people it did appear.

Also, now I cant get the Files dialog box (CTRL+F5, exiting the page).....It may be a time related bug between my previous post and this post...

Are you running the Ghostery plugin? If so then add Daniweb to the whitelist. That's what was causing that problem in my case.

Are you running the Ghostery plugin? If so then add Daniweb to the whitelist. That's what was causing that problem in my case

Nope

I'll give you the same advice that was given to me. Disable all plugins and restart your browser. If that fixes the problem then one of your plugins is at fault. Enable them one at a time until you figure out which one it is.

OK, its the text I put after the snippet. What is wrong with it?

OK, its the text I put after the snippet. What is wrong with it?

The code validation check looks for tabs, 4 or more spaces, or curly braces anywhere in the post. If those things are outside of a code block, you'll get the error message.

The code validation check looks for tabs, 4 or more spaces, or curly braces anywhere in the post. If those things are outside of a code block, you'll get the error message.

Look at the picture. There is nothing wrong with that and it completes all you mention.

Suggestion, instead of making the code validator look for tabs, 4 or more spaces or curly braces, why not if there are tabs, 4 or more spaces or curly braces........IT TURNS THAT TEXT INTO CODE FORMATTING?!?!?! Its really frustrating.

I think it would be more useful if the validator could indicate the line or lines that have been flagged as invalid.

Look at the picture.

Unfortunately, hidden whitespace isn't easily seen in a picture.

Suggestion, instead of making the code validator look for tabs, 4 or more spaces or curly braces, why not if there are tabs, 4 or more spaces or curly braces........IT TURNS THAT TEXT INTO CODE FORMATTING?!?!?!

Because having non-code in a code block isn't a great deal better than having code outside of a code block. Since it's difficult to guess what the author of a post intended to be formatted as code, that decision is deferred to them with a validation error in cases where they may have forgotten to apply a code block.

My personal preference would be to update the validation code such that it isn't quite as aggressive in terms of whitespace (eg. trailing or embedded whitespace is ignored). I tried that at one point and Dani reversed it, but for the life of me I can't remember what the reason was.

Suggestion, instead of making the code validator look for tabs, 4 or more spaces or curly braces, why not if there are tabs, 4 or more spaces or curly braces........IT TURNS THAT TEXT INTO CODE FORMATTING?!?!?! Its really frustrating.

Because we learned from the BBCode nightmare (which is still ongoing behind the scenes) that heuristics cannot always be used to accurately predict what the end-user is trying to accomplish.

I think it would be more useful if the validator could indicate the line or lines that have been flagged as invalid.

That's something I'll look into doing. I think it should be doable.

OK comment. Id perfer the other way but...

Because we learned from the BBCode nightmare (which is still ongoing behind the scenes) that heuristics cannot always be used to accurately predict what the end-user is trying to accomplish.

The end-user is trying to make a post. He at the end doesnt care if its formatted correctly to the standards of Daniweb. If your posting system thinks it is code, just automatically set it as code. If it isnt, I think a human being on these forums can tell. The important thing is that its a not a hell posting on these forums.

That's something I'll look into doing. I think it should be doable.

Something is better than nothing I guess...

Plus, for the posting client I plan to making using your API, it would make it a lot easier for me as well.

Member Avatar for diafol

The end-user is trying to make a post. He at the end doesnt care if its formatted correctly to the standards of Daniweb

I don't think it's Daniweb standards, it's Markdown. I care. If I've spent 5-10 minutes of my life writing a response or some code, then I want it to look like code - I want it displayed to my expectations. Markdown does this for me. Of all the posts containing markdown code that I've made (must be > 1000 by now), I can't ever remember running into a problem, well not after a few teething problems in the first week.

A line highlighter for errors would certainly help some people.

Something is better than nothing I guess...

OK, implemented. Now it will highlight the line it has an issue with.

Plus, for the posting client I plan to making using your API, it would make it a lot easier for me as well.

There is currently not an API to post. Write functionality is very limited, sorry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.