but free speech and all that

"free speech" is not an issue here, no one has the right to free speech on privately owned forums. The right to free speech is only a government issue, not private issue. If Dani said you will be banned for posting "IMO" then she ccan do that. The only reason foul language is banned is because Dani said so. I've been on other sites where it's perfectly acceptable language.

Member Avatar for diafol

Fair one AD, I phrased that badly / was wrong. Dani said that she encourages honesty with regard to criticism of the site design.

The rules do clearly state no foul language.

Our official policy is actually that we have our shortlist of words we consider cursewords, and those get filtered out by our censorship feature. Aside from that, we do not allow moderators to decide what they consider is and isn't a curseword (too much subjectiveness across the board), and if it hasn't been filtered out automatically, then it's allowed.

commented: Clarified +0

I don't know if this is possible, or at least none of my business, but can you guys close this thread because a lot of problems have fired up in this one.

@Dani, what is that purple icon that you have by the thing that identifies when you posted?

It shows that the poster is currently online (hover over it for a pop-up)

But it doesn't show on mine or can i not see it?

But you already know if you are online or not, surely?

That said, I'm seeing my purple dot of onlineliness...

As of 2 hours ago i am able to see it :)

Clearing your browser cache would have probalby done the trick. Here's a thread on the subject, since this one is going a bit off-topic.

Member Avatar for diafol

I don't know if this is possible, or at least none of my business, but can you guys close this thread because a lot of problems have fired up in this one.

You reckon? I'm finding it quite educational. To me, this is what this forum is all about. Even mods like myself are learning from the active discussion. I didn't realise that expletives are permitted if not filtered out by the 'filter-thingy'. :)

I didn't realise that expletives are permitted if not filtered out by the 'filter-thingy'. :)

On this one I'll disagree slightly with Dani because a blacklist isn't a complete solution to matters of censorship. The profanity filter is a good measure of common words we want to disallow, and if a common word isn't censored, like "shit", then it's safe to say we allow it. Obviously if a word is filtered, like "fuck", there's no doubt that we disallow it. ;)

However, that doesn't mean the mod team can't deliberate on an uncensored word and vote that it's a violation of Keep It Pleasant. That word then may or may not be added to the profanity filter depending on how likely we suspect it to be used again in the future. After all, it's not practical to build a gigantic blacklist of every word that someone may find offensive. But infractions based on an uncensored word shouldn't be done without team consensus.

Obviously if a word is filtered, like "####",

Don't make me give you an infraction ;)

Member Avatar for diafol

Is there a banned list in the mod area? Or would it look like:

####
####
#######
#######
####
####
#######
####

:)

I am offended by #3 on that list.

commented: ha ha +0

We had a lot of problems in the past where each moderator had their own opinion as to what was an offensive word and what should be allowed. We ended up with some moderators infracting each time someone said the word shitty, and other moderators using the word shitty in sentences themselves. It was getting really out of control.

So we finally decided for the moderation team to come up with a concensus of what we would all agree would be considered offensive language, and that anything not in the list is okay. There was the agreement that the profanity filter would filter out anything in the list, and in the future, at any time, moderators can vote on any words we would all agree should be added to the filter. However, anything not in the list should not be considered offensive.

More great forum "features" on DaniWeb:

I like the "Files" button and this appears:

Upload Attachments

Files will automatically be attached to the post upon upload. Optionally, you can embed uploaded images within your post.

OK, that sounds good. Ill upload the file to my post.............Wait a minute: THERE IS NO UPLOAD BUTTON.

I went out of my way and searched for the code and found this:

<form action="http://www.daniweb.com/posts/js_upload_attachments" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8" id="attachment-uploader" target="attachment-iframe" class="user-input" enctype="multipart/form-data">

And where is that list/option/etc? NOWHERE. I apoligize if I miss it but searching thru the code its not anywhere I can see....

I'd like to ask why <MICHAEL>'s last post was deleted. He expressed an opinion (a valid one if you ask me). It seems that the only reason it was deleted was out of fear of offending riahc3. There was no name calling. Every system has its foibles (or "personality" if you will). All problems are ranked on a scale from serious to not. The developers have some idea as to the effort required to fix each one. The effort is weighed against the annoyance factor and the perceived benefit. Then the problems are addressed in turn. This is how a business operates. If anyone finds that the existing problems are too annoying to live with then he/she is free to take their business elsewhere. As far as I can tell, that was the gist of <MICHAEL>'s post. I don't think it should have been deleted.

I completely agree. He was giving his opinion on myself and the thread without offending.

"free speech" is not an issue here, no one has the right to free speech on privately owned forums. The right to free speech is only a government issue, not private issue. If Dani said you will be banned for posting "IMO" then she ccan do that. The only reason foul language is banned is because Dani said so. I've been on other sites where it's perfectly acceptable language.

Forums are not made by the "privately owned", its made by its members. If the "privately owned" made a rule such as no free speech, noone would visit the site at all.

Members said that if there are so much bugs, why dont I report them? And for now, Ive tried to report them all and in all scenarios. I just posted the Upload function bug.

The upload is triggered automatically after completing the browse.

Browse where/what/who/how?

Again I click on Files and my browser automatically goes down (I imagine it makes a div unhidden and shows it) saying:

Upload Attachments

Files will automatically be attached to the post upon upload. Optionally, you can embed uploaded images within your post.

Nothing else.

After selecting the Files button in the purple bar just below Post, you will see a couple buttons called "Choose File". Hit that button then navigate to the file you want to upload and select it. After that you will still see some "Choose File" buttons, but this time there are a couple more buttons just above them -- "Insert <filename> into editor", and two more. You can select one of those options if you want to or just ignore them if you don't want to do any of them. After that, just continue editing your post, or if you are finished, hit the "Reply to this Discussion" button.

Forums are not made by the "privately owned", its made by its members. If the "privately owned" made a rule such as no free speech, noone would visit the site at all.

Yes they are, Dani owns DaniWeb. In USA "Free speech" laws applies to governments, not individual people. Read Dani's post again just one week ago. If she didn't have the right to limit speech on DaniWeb then her actions in that post would have been illegal.

On IE9 it shows this.

Then I can confirm a bug on FF 18.0.1 on Windows 7. Does not appear for me.

Yes they are, Dani owns DaniWeb. In USA "Free speech" laws applies to governments, not individual people. Read Dani's post again just one week ago. If she didn't have the right to limit speech on DaniWeb then her actions in that post would have been illegal.

Again no; The website, code, etc is all written by Daniweb's coding team. But the site itself, its content, its activity, etc is made by the members. Without them, it would die.

Testing upload on Firefox 18.0.1 on Windows 7 ...

Hmm, after having pressed Files on the toolbar, I get to see two upload fields+buttons (pic #1).

Now, after having selected a file to be uploaded, I get to see no less than five upload fields+buttons (pic #2).

upload

upload2

EDIT: Just realized that Ancient Dragon already described this 'multitude of upload opportunities' .. duh.

32 or 64 bit?

Very odd.

Again no; The website, code, etc is all written by Daniweb's coding team. But the site itself, its content, its activity, etc is made by the members. Without them, it would die.

DaniWeb, the code behind it, the database, and all DaniWeb's content, is owned by DaniWeb LLC, of which I am the sole member. Of course, without members, the community would die. But that is no different than a small store where if they treat their customers terribly, the store will go out of business. That doesn't mean the store is owned by its customers.

I have a right to do whatever I want with DaniWeb. I can choose to censor the word "foo" if I want to, and ban everyone who says the word "hi". However, not many people would visit the site if I did that, and ultimately we would go out of business.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.