I am used to seeing the categories such as Tutorials, Interviews, Code Snippets, etc at the top of the thread lists. I recently posted some code in the VB.NET forum showing how to used parameterized queries to avoid SQL injection. I wanted to categorize it as a tutorial but my only choices were Discussion Thread or Code Snippet. If these categories are still available then how does one access them? If not then should they be removed from the banner?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

So the categories are still there on request. That's good to know.

And, as if by magic, it's now a tutorial...

Diafol pointed out that when you changed the category to tutorial, all of the code got deleted. When I put the code back in the Tutorial status was cleared.

I changed the category back to code snippet so that it could be found more easily (separate from regular threads). I put the code back into the code snippet window but now there is something screwy with the formatting. The tabs, which while in edit mode are the correct four spaces, change to eight spaces after I click Save.

Erk! Bug alert.

Sorry about that Rev, what a bummer :(

I'm not sure why the spacing got wacky, but the reason you couldn't go back and edit the tutorial and re-save it as a tutorial is because you don't have staff writer permissions.

Is it a bug that the code all vanished (without warning) when I changed the article type from a snippet to a tutorial, or is that intentional?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.