On a post,my suggestion was upvoted with comments.But there is no change in reputation point.Is this a bug?
Click Here

Recommended Answers

All 31 Replies

Hmm ... this is strange. Let me look into this.

Dani have you checked this problem???

We're working on it, no worries.

commented: Like a boss! :D Wise words in the signature too ;) +0

The thread I posted with the Js plugin in Geek's Lounge earlier today was moved by Dani to the Js forum. After it was moved it was +repped by EvolutionFallen. His profile shows +5, but in my Post Comment tab it shows 0. Perhaps this is related.

I am not sure if this was ever fixed but i don't ever see my reputation points ever increasing even if someone adds a comment with their positive rep point...

not sure if that was the best question at the right time...

Yeah, we're having a hard time getting to the bottom of the bug. Sorry for taking so long :(

okay, it has concerning me for a while. it has been 15 rep points for months (at least for me).

I'll take another look at it tomorrow. Sorry, I just found out about this bug from this article.

Oh okay, take your time :)

i don't ever see my reputation points ever increasing

You don't get rep in the Community Center forums.

commented: oh +0

also: reputation is a nice reward, but it isn't the main part of this forum (at least it shouldn't be :) )
personally, I d'rather keep track of up/downvoted posts to check where I may have gave an answer that someone believed to be from the "what the ..... is that idiot doing?" type, so a bit to learn of the reactions (well, if they bother to tell why they downvoted, anyway..)

I still like rep because you can leave a comment. If I'm going to down/upvote someone, I like to explain why.

oh... makes sense.

Not any more, but it appears that the members that have been on this site for quite some time did in fact get reputation points with their postings in the Community Center forums, and it appears that the point range was much higher in the past than it is now.

also: reputation is a nice reward, but it isn't the main part of this forum (at least it shouldn't be :) )

I agree, but its obvisouly part of the solution to get people to contribute and encourage participation. In any case, there is no way anyone is going to be able to catch up to these original members....if rep is something that is important for you.

In any case, there is no way anyone is going to be able to catch up to these original members....if rep is something that is important for you.

That's not entirely true. My account is just over a year old and I'm close to the top 50 in rep. However, looking at my profile clearly shows one of two things:

• I'm not posting anything rep worthy on a regular basis.
  • Most Daniweb members just don't rep that often.

I'd like to believe that my posts are generally high quality and should deserve rep, but because of the overly discerning (or disinterested) readers, I don't get it that often and thus haven't gotten higher on the top posters list. Note that this isn't my ego talking (for the most part). The numbers from rep, votes, and endorsements over a large sample set of 3000+ posts strongly suggest a very high approval rating.

So I'm inclined to say that most of the problem with not catching up to the older members, especially those who aren't active anymore, is the reputation system simply isn't used as often as in those early days.

Another great example is mike_2000_17, whose account is only two years old and he's in the top 20. If you mosey over to his profile and look at the first page of comments, the date spread is actually almost identical to mine. Once again, high approval rating, but rep is relatively slow coming in.

Not any more, but it appears that the members that have been on this site for quite some time did in fact get reputation points with their postings in the Community Center forums

None of mine is from the community-center. It all got removed when Dani chose to disregard rep from the community-center forums.

and it appears that the point range was much higher in the past than it is now

It was a bit higher, but not that much. It's just that back in the day rep was given more often because voting was not yet invented. If you approved of a post it would automatically result in +rep, regardless of the comment.

If you approved of a post it would automatically result in +rep, regardless of the comment.

Evan i think so rep is only increased when you receive comment + upvote and recreases also in similar way.

i think so rep is only increased when you receive comment + upvote

You're right, but it wasn't always like that, that's what I was getting at.

I think I got this fixed but please let me know if you spot it again.

sure dani boss...:)

hmmm... i still don't see any changes, i got rep point with a comment and no rep increase.

You didn't get any reputation points from heydaniwebbers because they have 0 reputation themselves, with no reputation power to give you.

oh, so technically, most people that give me rep points don't ever have rep points to begin with?

oh, so technically, most people that give me rep points don't ever have rep points to begin with?

Either that or the rep you're given is in the community center (where rep power doesn't apply).

it showed up in the Web design forum.

I don't know if this may help but you guys should change how the rep system works so that when ever someone gets a rep point, there overall rep points go up whether it is in the community center or not.

The Web Design forum?? The post you linked me to was in the PHP forum, and you didn't get any reputation points because the person who commented on your post (heydaniwebbers) had no reputation power to give you.

Many, many years ago reputation counted everywhere. However, we found that a lot of people were giving reputation for the posting games and so much off-topic stuff. The members on the site with the top reputation out of everyone were not even tech saavy people who were able to help others. This translated into reputation score not really being any type of measurement of helpfulness / usefulness, and it was decided that the Community Center should no longer count towards reputation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.