On the endorsements, i noticed that i have several endorsements on C# and Java and i was wondering if they should show up in the "Favorite Places to Post" section? Also the count is still off, it shows that i have 18 on the bottom of the web design section even though i have more than that.

This may be irrelevant but i also noticed that i recieved reps from a user who had 7 rep points and my rep points didn't go up even thought i was told it would go up If the user didn't have 0 rep points and didn't give you reps in the community center... just asking about it.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I guess the endorsement system can't keep up with the rate at which your "friends" in California register phony accounts and endorse you (i.e., most of your endorsements are from people from California, who registered in the last month, and barely posted anything themselves). You're not exactly coming to this issue with clean hands, are you?

This may be irrelevant but i also noticed that i recieved reps from a user who had 7 rep points and my rep points didn't go up

I guess you're speaking of this post and the rep by this user. 7 rep-points is really low (and coincidently, the 7 reps you gave him), and it also depends on other factors (post count, time since registration, etc.), that's why this user (from Calfornia, registered 2 hours ago...) has the "Power to Affect Someone's Reputation Positively" of 0.

I don't know what you're doing or what you're hoping for, but it sure doesn't smell very good.

commented: So true. Last I checked some accounts were even unverified. +0

Given that MICHAEL is a student, and all the endorsing accounts which have posted are using the same IP address (which points to a CENIC ISP based in Irvine, California) it could well be that they are fellow students at the same school using the same network. Assuming that the school is based in Irvine.

Benefit of the doubt given, but agree with Mikael that is does all look more than a little fishy...

Actually, i don't live in irvine (or go to a school there, but i have been there to go to the spectrum)... but i do know of a school that is there. I do live near irvine though (about 20+ miles approximately).

But i do get the facts you (you both) bring out.

I don't know what you're doing or what you're hoping for, but it sure doesn't smell very good.

Benefit of the doubt given, but agree with Mikael that is does all look more than a little fishy...

I don't know why, i was expecting to hear/read that after posting this thread...

Considering your apparent obession with achieving stats like Top Members by Activity Points Today and your prior endorse me and I'll endorse you signature, I agree that a little fishy is appropriate here. Most of us prefer quality posts over quantity and a scoring system that reflects that. As I've stated before, there is a big difference between Twitter and DaniWeb.

Adding to Jim's comment, the accounts under suspicion are all the only ones to endorse you in C#, a language you have self-admitted only just starting to learn which is evident by the questions you have posted on trivial issues. Therefore the endorsements are hardly earnt within the forum and it may appear misleading to those who see your name on the bottom of the forum and follow advice you give, if any. Not saying that definately happens but it is a possible outcome.

On the endorsements, i noticed that i have several endorsements on C# and Java and i was wondering if they should show up in the "Favorite Places to Post" section?

They show up on the main view of the forum or category where you've been endorsed. So at present you have 5 C# endorsements and that can be seen by hovering over your avatar on the list at the bottom of the C# forum.

Also the count is still off, it shows that i have 18 on the bottom of the web design section even though i have more than that.

It looks correct to me. All forums correctly reflect the count on your profile. Unless you somehow know you've gotten more endorsements than are listed on your profile, I don't see a problem.

This may be irrelevant but i also noticed that i recieved reps from a user who had 7 rep points and my rep points didn't go up even thought i was told it would go up If the user didn't have 0 rep points and didn't give you reps in the community center...

Rep power doesn't correspond directly with rep points. Rep points contribute to your rep power, but there's more to the calculation than that. Our rep power calculation method is actually about 30 lines of conditional math. You can view someone's rep power underneath their rep points, it's split between positive and negative power.

Apropo of nothing, but just as an adendum to this thread, if you check my ip address it will be Nicosia, Cyprus, when I am in fact in Limassol, 75km further south. I don't think they are generally that accurate, are they?

How do you know what your IP address is? Based off of this site.

The moderators can see that info...it's logged. Standard forum feature.

I know, but how did Tony figure his out? Unless a mod told him...

Your exact location with regard to your public Ip is not at the router level. Its going to be somewhere with regard to your ISP. If you stop doing business with them, your Public IP will be assigned to someone else. The location of that IP will not change. Your public IP != GPS location.

how did Tony figure his out?

I guess something along the lines of:

Get your public IP:

$ lynx -dump ifconfig.me | grep 'IP Address'

Get its location:

$ lynx -dump http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/?QRY=<insert-ip-here> | grep address|egrep 'city|state|country|latitude|longitude'

I think you misunderstood, Tony was just making a point about the lack of precision of the ip address geo-locations. For example, your ip location is:

IP address country:      ip address flag United States
    IP address state:       California
     IP address city:       Ladera Ranch
   IP address latitude:     33.5680
  IP address longitude:     -117.6328

So, you can judge for yourself how accurate that is.

Hmmm it is almost accuarate actually. just 10 miles off... :) But i can see the accuaracy.

@<M/> if you use an online speedtest, it will normally tell you your ip. Simple....

I know how to find my IP address, it's just that the one that Daniweb has recorded for me is a just few miles (10 miles) off.

It recorded the IP address you were assigned at the time you registered.

We record the IP address you use when you register as well as the IP addressed used with each individual post you make. Maybe you interacted with DaniWeb from school or from a friend's house once?

Nope, not at all :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.