Dear Moderator,

I have registered to this site an year ago but I was not visiting it for a long time.. But Now I visited this site after a very long time.. I started providing answer @ ASP.NET sections.. But to my surprise I found that someone is down-voting my responses apparently without any reasons..

I have few Questions in my mind:

1> How can I know who is down-voting my posts? Is this possible or not?

2> How can I alert or contact Moderators @ daniweb?

3> Is this forum not getting moderated? It is because see anyone could downvote one's thread without any reason.. It should get moderated as far as quality of the forum is considered.. For Example Suppose if a person is giving correct replies but his posts are getting downvoted.. Then this will definitely affect the quality of this forums adversely..

4> As far as I am considered I received a total of 9 Down-votes in 12 hours.. So It is out of my mind by now..

Thank You and If possible PLease do the needful regarding this issue.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Welcome back, I will deal with your questions in order:

1. No, it is not possible. Even administrators (such as myself) cannot see who is downvoting. The system is designed to be anonymous.

2. You have contacted them as they, along with the administrators, read this forum. You can also flag individual posts as bad, which will bring those specific issues directly to the attention of the moderating team (flagged posts appear in a closed forum where the mods can review them and take action as necessary).

3. Yes, the asp.net forum is being moderated. The only time that downvotes would be considerded a moderating problem is if a member, or members, were systematically and maliciously downvoting all posts by a specific member. Members do not need to give a reason for downvoting, as it does not impact upon your reputation (to leave reputation points a member has to comment and thus reveal themselves).

4. Seriously, I would suggest you just ignore the downvotes and move on. There does not appear to be any campaign against you, nor any sign of malicious downvoting, as many of your recent posts remain unvoted upon.

commented: Thanks +0

Thank You for clearning the things.. I would love to contribute @ daniweb as much as possible in the coming days as this was the first forum I registered with when I was learning things.. Its now my turn to help people as much as possible..

Note that I'm adding to happygeek's answers and directing them at geniusvishal.

No, it is not possible. Even administrators (such as myself) cannot see who is downvoting. The system is designed to be anonymous.

It's possible, given that we do store that information in the database. But there's no interface for it yet, and retrieving the information requires a direct database query by Dani (as she's the only one with that kind of access). So for harrassment cases we can track down guilty parties, if necessary. That's only happened once in the entire history of Daniweb though, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. That's also why an admin interface for searching votes is somewhat low on my priority list.

You have contacted them as they, along with the administrators, read this forum. You can also flag individual posts as bad, which will bring those specific issues directly to the attention of the moderating team (flagged posts appear in a closed forum where the mods can review them and take action as necessary).

You're also welcome to send any of us a private message with concerns you may have. The "no help through PM" rule doesn't apply to issues that might require moderator or admin attention. ;)

Yes, the asp.net forum is being moderated.

"Moderated", as pertains to the question may mean "every post is systematically reviewed" as opposed to what actually happens which is more along the lines of "keeping an eye on things and responding to reported bad posts". Daniweb doesn't have a moderation queue for every post, but our moderation team is astoundingly good at catching problems shortly after they occur.

I'd wager that if we stopped moderating for a day, you'd wonder how we ever managed all of the crap that gets culled before most regular members see it.

commented: Thank You again. By the way DiHydrogen Monoxide is water... :-) +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.