Are we allowed to share other people's code snippets (in the code snippets) as long as we reference them? I don't want anyone to get in trouble if I share code from other sites...

I did it once for a "Go back" button for the php snippets.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

That's a good question. Some sites, such as codeproject.com states that all code can be freely used for either personal or commercial use, sort of like GNU license.. If you read the TOS link at the bottom of the page I don't see anything of that sort.

Sorry, but no. We require all content posted on DaniWeb to be unique to us.

Dani I think you misunderstood -- the question is can people use the code posted on DaniWeb in their own programs?

I disagree. The question was whether or not they can share the code snippets. I think it would be OK to share the code snippets as in

You can find an example of Dynamic Control Creation (Event Handlers) on Daniweb

That way the snippet is shared, the content stays unique to Daniweb and Daniweb gets promoted on other sites by having a link back to the forums (which can only improve ranking).

I took the question to mean that he found a code snippet elsewhere on the web and wanted to enter it into our code snippet library, citing the original author of the snippet. In such a case, we require you be the author of any code snippet you submit into our library.

The question was whether or not they can share the code snippets.

Isn't that what I said? But maybe the OP needs to clarify what he means instead of us just guessing.

I took the question to mean that he found a code snippet elsewhere on the web and wanted to enter it into our code snippet library

On second reading I guess that was the obvious interpretation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.