Cast your vote in the Summer 2012 Code Snippet Contest :)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CodeContest

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@Dani

Nice lists? How many can I vote? I can't read other languages beside php? That is alot of code snippets from Software Development section!! What happened to the Web Development section?? Without Web Development there won't be Daniweb! That's not good at all? Can you add this on your "todo list"? I don't have time to create one or submit the codes but it's bit shocking. It's pretty impressive code on the survey! I didn't vote yet!

This is all of the code snippets that have been contributed to our contest over the course of June and July.

@Dani

I'm a bit tired and very exhausted. Sorry, if I came out strong on my previous post.

This is all of the code snippets that have been contributed to our contest over the course of June and July.

I kinda lost track of time, sometimes ... June and July is in the Summer. No School. A lot of people on vacaion. Base on the Code Sippet, you have 46 code! Not bad!
I guess I had a high expectations on something like this. I enjoy reading stuff! You know what ... you did good job! This is very good. You got 46 members to write something! You should be happy! You manage to spread your word about the contest. If you do another Code Sippet in Mid-September to Mid-December. It will triple! I think you will be very happy at the end of the year. Things gonna get better for you!

I only voted for php because I forgot how to read C/C++.

You can only make a single voting submission, with one vote being allowed in each of the three categories within the single submission. If you see what I mean? :)

I assume there is also an untold gentlemen's agreement that you don't vote for your own snippet if you have one in there.

If I was running in an election, I'd vote for myself. :-P Seriously though, I think at least one person who voted already did so for themselves.

There's nothing we can do to stop people voting for themselves, and nobody but Dani will know, so knock yourself out :)

@Dani

When HappyGeek mention this:

You can only make a single voting submission, with one vote being allowed in each of the three categories within the single submission. If you see what I mean? :)

I been busy lately, I haven't been on Daniweb the past few days. Did my vote counted or I have to voted again?

Your vote counted.

It's too hard to enforce not voting for yourself, and even if we were to state it, it would be too hard to check whether people were doing it.

@Dani

Good to know ... Thanks!

It's too hard to enforce not voting for yourself, and even if we were to state it, it would be too hard to check whether people were doing it.

I thought you were the only person will know?

HappyGeek mention that in his comment:

here's nothing we can do to stop people voting for themselves, and nobody but Dani will know, so knock yourself out :)

I don't want to be nosy, I mean as long as you know, then there won't an issue. It's 46 code meaning 46 members wrote something. If you are the only person who check which person is voting for themselves ... then I don't see any issue because you have control of it already. In another words ... it's like you have a lot of power or authority to do that ... meaning another words ... you are on top of things.

I hope that make sense, it doesn't make sense to me but I hope it make sense to you or what I wrote is very gibberish.

At present the survey requires only a username to participate. Aren't you concerned that someone might vote using other usernames?

As the rule was missing from the rules, I of course had to check if it is possible to vote yourself by trying it out, and it was. Even in my mobile I only saw the first two columns and did not vote for all categories due to that. I then announced Dani that it was possible to vote oneself and if it was her intention to allow it or not as it was not in rules/description of the vote. Actually I was thinking exactly same example of elections as Dani mentioned in my mind and consider it OK to vote oneself, but think there should be mention of it in the voting rules to make it clear and explicit.

As for new users made for voting, that would clearly be cheating. I would not do so, but still for enforcing it I would not allow users registered after starting of the vote to vote in the competition.

I just cast my votes. And, of course, I didn't vote for my own snippet, even though it is clearly the best ;) (shameless plug)

I don't think the analogy with an election makes any sense. In an election, you choose the person or party that you would most like to see in charge of things, because of what you think/hope they will do once in office, or because he/she/they represent your positions / opinions / world-view. In case of elections, clearly, you should vote for yourself if you're a candidate. However, in this kind of a contest, the idea is to try to judge the work that has been done using your expertise and objective appreciation for its merits. Voting for yourself (at least, if you are voting just to give you a better chance of winning) is not OK in my opinion because it is neither objective nor based on your expert opinion, and it doesn't judge the work that has been done. This is the same reason that if you had a judge on an olympic competition (diving, acrobatics, etc.) who would automatically give 10/10 to every athlete from his country regardless of the performance, you would call that out as being dishonest and biased, because he is supposed to be impartial. So, even though I think my snippet is objectively part of the top contenders, and even if I probably would vote for it if it was written by someone else, I consider it more in the spirit of the competition to exclude it from the candidates I considered when voting. But, of course, you can't or shouldn't have to make a rule against voting for yourself, that's why I said, originally, "an untold gentlemen's agreement". In any case, it isn't a big deal if people vote for themselves, a drop in the bucket.

Shame that I had to do the experiment to test the rules, Mike, as otherwise I would surely had voted for your code. I do not have deep enough C++ knowledge to fully understand it, but I would anyway think that with unfair amount of debugging help of our dear Rashakil Fol ;), it must be nearly perfect.

Member voting will commence on Wednesday August 1st, and end at midnight (EST) on Wednesday August 15th with the winners being announced the following day.

Time is running out, so vote now if you have not done so already!

Do so even according to membership letter the voting period have been extended until end of the month!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.