I was just in the Hardware & Softwre Chat. Here are a few lines

Mon 1:31  pm savedlema I see Reverend Jim here...you have answered so much of my difficult questions on VB.NET...Thank you so much.
Mon 2:04  pm savedlema nobody is here..time expired?
Mon 11:06 am DaveAmour Hi
Mon 11:25 am Reverend Jim Glad I could help.

Just scanning the log quickly, the eyes see Mon Mon Mon... and it isn't immediately obvious that one or more weeks passed between Mon 2:04 and Mon 11:06. Would it be possible (and reasonably easy) to modifly the chat log display code to add a spacer of some sort to indicate a large gap in time? Perhaps something like

Mon 1:31  pm savedlema I see Reverend Jim here...you have answered so much of my difficult ...

--- gap of 6 days and 7 hours

Or possibly a line with the date/time the log resumed if the last displayed entry was on a previous day

Mon 1:31  pm savedlema I see Reverend Jim here...you have answered so much of my difficult ...

2015-05-18

I think some indication that the conversation has been paused/interrupted/discontinued for an extended period would help.

dtpp commented: good point +0

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

We do that in the static chat log but, due to the nature of our chat application, it isn't very easy for us to do it in from within the realtime chat.

commented: Nonsense. Implementing realtime timestamp from NTP is piece of cake +0

I like chatting to people but no one is ever there :(

Go to the main chat page (where it lists all the active rooms) at https://www.daniweb.com/chat and then initiate a chat with someone who happens to be online. Their shoutbox will immediately pop-up.

Isn't that a bit stalky?

Member Avatar for Warrens80

Maybe, But if your like me and have no idifference then it doesn't really matter.

I don't see it as stalky, lol. All messenging applications have a list of online users.

Ok I shall quote you on that next time you are online and I stalk, I mean chat with you!

Member Avatar for Warrens80

It's only silky when you make stalky just lik everything else in this world.

As long as you don't overflow their inboxes with random messages.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.