I do not like the new design , tonight , I can not find the python forum . whose idea was this anyway ?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Some members gave me the idea to switch to a tagging-based system, and so we did :-P

You can't find the Python forum because it doesn't exist anymore.

But here are all articles tagged with Python:

https://www.daniweb.com/tags/python

Is there a specific way to search by tags? Or do we just use the search at the top of the page?

what do you mean that python forum does not exist anymore ? where can we post our python questions ? that was the only forum I was interested in . my sugestion is to switch back to how it was before . I had a teacher who used to tell his students in the begining of each semester : " if it is not broken do not f.... with it " . there was nothing wrong with the old style

I had a teacher who used to tell his students in the begining of each semester : " if it is not broken do not f.... with it " . there was nothing wrong with the old style

DaniWeb receives about one thirtieth of the traffic we received three years ago and only getting worse. A lot of our forum categories were very outdated. I was constantly being told that the design was very old school. Sometimes you just gotta keep up with the times or you'll be left in the dust.

You can post Python questions in the Software Development forum with the 'python' tag. This way, they can be found by people just searching by that tag.

ok Dani , if it is for the good of Daniweb , I go along with it . best of luck

Let's put it this way: Dani has never made changes to DaniWeb just for the heck of it, ever in all the years I have known her. She only ever does so if she thinks it will be for the long term benefit of the community. If drastic changes are needed to give DaniWeb a chance of surviving the next year or two then I say let's cut her some slack and give her our support.

commented: Yes +0
commented: completely way round. No drastic change without public survey...... if users do not want the change, just skip it. +0

Oh, and I would add that I imagine if it's decided that the changes have broken it then DaniWeb will revert to something unbroken in pretty short order (not that I think it is broke at the moment, to be honest).

commented: And here is truth: YES, people do not like this (in this sense its broken); so follow your own words please..... +0

DaniWeb receives about one thirtieth of the traffic we received three years ago and only getting worse.

Yes, but I gather that this has been true about programming fora across the board, for reasons completely unrelated to DaniWeb or its design (e.g., word has gotten out to college students that IT is not a way to get rich with minimal effort, and they have been dropping programing courses in droves, especially in the places where it has been absurdly oversold such as India, China and Russia). Even SO has lost most of its traffic, and most other programming sites (Gamasutra, DevShed) are nearly abandoned. That Daniweb has any traffic at all now is a success.

The irony is that, unlike some fields i.e., medicine, this is actually a good thing for IT. For decades there has been an excess of CSSE students in both universities and trade schools, most of whom have had little inclination to the field but were drawn by the smell of lucre falling from the skies. Worse, as CS enrollment rose, funding fell (or rather, grants were increasingly earmarked for specific projects or purchases rather than general course material), making the schools teach more and more students with fewer and fewer instructors and resources. It has left IT teaching a shambles, doubly so because most of the students didn't really want to be there and had no real desire to be in the field. The result is that the field is now flooded with minimally skilled programmers who drag down IT projects rather than contribute to them, and a load of Peter Principle managers who never learned Brooks' Law. The software industry would be better off with fewer, but more talented (and more importantly, interested and motivated), developers.

Mind you, this has nothing to do with offshoring, except in that there was even higher pressure outside of the US in nations that were working hard at catching up. The best developers from Pakistan are world-class; the worst developers in the US or UK are just as bad as the worst elsewhere. The problem is that programmer skill is not fungible; one capable programmer can outperform 10 incompetent ones, and the best can accomplish things no number of underskilled coders can. Perhaps there will be a day when software design will be easily divisble into unskilled or minimally skilled labor processes, but even if it ever is, that is centuries away. Today, programming is a skilled craft, one with pretensions towards profession but a craft that depends as much on the developers skill, knowledge abd drive more than anything (though communication skills are just as important). Human wave methods simply do not work in this field, for the most part, and they probably never will.

commented: dont see what you wanted to tell us...... please explain +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.