I've been a member of Daniweb since 2010 and a moderator for most of the last ten years. I had the great pleasure of meeting our illustrious founder and leader in 2015. I've enjoyed many interesting discussions, particularly the ones which caused me to re-evaluate some of my own opinions. I've had a great time answering questions, and hopefully I've managed to help a few people. But it seems there is nothing left to do on Daniweb but whack spammers so I'll be saying goodbye. If anyone has announcements, or if you just want to drop a line from time to time I can be reached at rjdegraff@shaw.ca.

It's been fun but nothing lasts forever.

Good luck and stay safe,
Jim de Graff

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Thanks for everything Rev, and the best of luck!

Perhaps I can take your spammer hammer and do the whacking for you.

Sad, but inevitable.
Jim said it all.
I'm out too.

James

I definitely hear ya, but at the same time, I’m privy to all of the stats that show lots of good things to come.

From my perspective, last year I was super burned out with DaniWeb and felt like I was in a hamster wheel and nothing was improving.

This year, I‘be been doing a lot more on the SEO front and I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel for the first time in a long time.

So that’s where I’m coming from right now.

I guess all I can say is don’t be a stranger, and I’ll be the first to ping you if/when things improve.

Hi everyone,

Good morning all. I just woke up and I'm trying to wrap my mind around everything that's been going on over the past 5 hours.

Here's what I can gather happened so far ...

Against my better judgement, I had in the spam bot to filter out posts that included the words customer support number, customer service number, etc. The spammers realized this last night, and so started getting around the filter with posts that injected invisible high-level characters in between letters of the words. They posted hundreds and hundreds of times over the past 5 hours.

As a result, the entire moderation team got fed up and stepped down.

In lighter news ... I'm closing on a house today!!

Sorry DaniWeb just isn't enjoyable anymore :(

the entire moderation team got fed up and stepped down

What!?

commented: Not entirely. I was asleep when more moderation was called for. Life happens. +0

I'm closing on a house today!!

Congrats!

If you need a modding hand, I'd be happy to help again.

@Reverend Jim,
It's sad to know. However, it's a fact of life.
Things get better with time.
Sometimes, a little pause is better to regain the wealth of strength and vigor.
Take your time and wish you all the best.

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.