Thats horrible to think like that just cause of a miss understanding and what not....

Take care

You have misinterpreted what I said, maybe because you have taken what I said in your quote out of context, but maybe not. But I do appreciate your concern. :)

Oh come on Kevin, how can you say that ? What do you think should be done to make each and every contributing core member feel special ?

I don't think this website should try and make people (especially not each and everyone) feel special. Maybe just a poor choice of words on your part. They should get the sense this is a site that is compelling (in a broad sense) enough to want to return. From there they might develop a more intimate level of participation that can grow to a real sense of feeling like a part of a community of like-minded people, or if not like-minded, at least respected and taken seriously when the situation calls for it.

I do agree there are not many Perl hackers around here, but that shouldn't give you the feeling that you are not wanted. I guess since you don't visit the Geek's Lounge, you are not accquanited with many people and vice versa.

I don't get the feeling I am not wanted. You have leapt to a conclusion, maybe partially my fault by my choice of words in previous comments.

Even though our paths never cross a lot, I hope even you have the same the desire to render help to people out there who desperately or badly need it.

The desire (motivation is a better word) I have for helping others is probably not the same as yours or the same as person XYZ. I help people for my own benefit as much as theirs. Wether they are desperate or badly in need of help is not really my concern. Anyone that posts a question in the topic area of my interest will get an answer if I have one to give and if there is still a need to give an answer. There is no priority for answering questons besides the priority I place on giving an answer. If a person was badly in need of help and I helped them, that can be a bit special. Or if I helped someone to actually learn something new and possibly even profound, that is even more rewarding to me and hopefully to them.

Hope it made you feel better...

Feel better? No. Appeciative of your concern and your opinions and thoughts? Yes, very much so. Thank you. :)

Regards,
~s.o.s~

Regards,
Kevin

Since this thread talks about obnoxious ads, here's a screenshot.

Obnoxious ad

I blocked that one a long time ago. It should NOT still be appearing. Will investigate ...

Some sections of the site are literally wall-to-wall advertising. Probably by accident, but still its as bad as it gets as far as size and placement of ads goes. See attachment. Screen shot is of code snippets section of site.

Maybe just a poor choice of words on your part.

You have leapt to a conclusion,

The desire (motivation is a better word)

I am infamous around these parts for turning a normal thread into a healthy debate but I guess I would just stay put this time and let the ... 's do the work. :mrgreen:

Appeciative of your concern and your opinions and thoughts? Yes, very much so. Thank you.

You are always welcome buddy. Hope you would find this site compelling enough someday.....

I blocked that one a long time ago. It should NOT still be appearing. Will investigate ...

I just got it again. :mad:

See attachments. :sad:

Sorry ... I called my rep but just got his voicemail, so I left a message. He hasn't returned my call which I guess means we'll have to wait until after the weekend.

Just saw some more spam :sad: See attached

Just saw some more spam :sad: See attached

Umm ... I don't see anything that I wouldn't allow in this picture? What are you referring to?

I thought the ads are supposed to be IT-related. The ad at the top of the picture has nothing to do with IT. Also seeing some H&R Block ads.

neither do i

Honestly Ancient Dragon, do you really have such a crappy monitor that you have to run your screen resolution at 800x600? :P

The presence of unrelated ads actually don't bother me that much, as long as they're not intrusive, offensive, or misleading (such as FirefoxDownloadHq).

[aside]Ads and such as I've previously mentioned, or my attempts to circumvent them, have apparently gotten me to subconsciously call this site PokyWeb.

The looooong load times for me, compared to other similar sites, and that all-too-annoying "jumpiness" really continue to help me further back-burner DaniWeb while other sites are serving me posts to forums.

FWIW[/aside]

i dont get long load times. im on 2mb

At work (512 kbit) the site loads instantly and I don't have any adds, just the banners saying: "Chat up a storm..." and "relax in our geek's lounge.."
At home (4 mbit) it takes about 10-15 seconds to load and I get all the previous mentioned adds.

Niek

well, thats it for me, I'm leaving daniweb. I'll check back in the future and see if this site has improved (or gotten worse) as far as advertising goes.

All the best to daniweb.

Honestly Ancient Dragon, do you really have such a crappy monitor that you have to run your screen resolution at 800x600? :P

I have a nice almost-new flat screen monitor -- its not the monitor but my not-so-good eyesight even with glasses.

Sorry if this is not related but the ads are crapping out sometimes too.

For example:

if (typeof(HasRun) == "undefined") var HasRun = 0; else HasRun = HasRun +1; var strADVID = "111"; // 120 x 150 var strPID = "404709"; var strWebRoot = "http://www5.contextweb.com/xt2/"; var strHintsOn = ""; var intNumAdsReserved = "0"; var strHintsOnDB = ""; var strKeyword = ""; var strChannel = "PubDefined"; var lvCAlign = "V"; var lvNumAds = 3; var lvCDLen = 60; var SFormat = "300X250"; var Surl = "http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post305044.html"; SFormat = SFormat.toUpperCase(); if (intNumAdsReserved == "")

Huh..what is the code that you have pasted here...

Good question. Something to circunvent ads?

That is simply the code provided by ContextWeb to generate their ads. The poster is complaining that the code sometimes fails. That's all; no one is posting anything in this thread about circumventing ads. The criticism is that there are too many ads, sometimes literally running solidly across the page, that the ads are not relevant to IT, and that some of the ads are in fact flyover ads which obscure content.

the ads dont show up under IE5 16 bit

the ads dont show up under IE5 16 bit

There's a 16-bit version of IE5??:eek: If you are running any version of MS-Windows since Win95 you are running a 32-bit version.

But I've never seen any of those fly-by ads or those like Kevin posted , and I use both IE5 and FoxPro

its for windows 3.11

IE5 16 bit emulates quite well in WINE actually so its useful if your bank etc.. doesnt support mozilla

its for windows 3.11

Do you still ride a horse & buggy to town too :eek: I know some people who do, but that's a different issue. I didn't realize Microsoft still supported that version of windows.

The criticism is that there are too many ads, sometimes literally running solidly across the page, that the ads are not relevant to IT, and that some of the ads are in fact flyover ads which obscure content.

The flyover ads are not meant to be here, as Dani has already mentioned earlier in the thread - and she is, as far as I am aware, attempting to get to the bottom of why they are and to remove them.

I never said otherwise. Dani has indeed responded, at least to those issues she feels worthy of a response. I only clarified because of the past knee-jerk reactions, such as moving entire threads out of the public eye because of a few late posts about ad-blocking.

Hi,

Contextual ads such as Google AdSense and IntelliTXT are always meant to be very relevant. Banner ads, however, are often used for branding campaigns, and are often purchased run-of-channel as part of a campaign with an advertising agency, etc.

My ad server does have the ability to very narrowly target the banner ads. Of course, we all want them to be as targeted as possible. However, advertisers often run banner ads similarly to as they would a billboard on the side of a highway - a big, general branding campaign where the goal is to remind the masses that they exist as opposed to a targeted campaign where the goal is to reach a very narrow audience and get conversions / sales. Especially following the holiday season, a lot of .com companies spent their big ad dollars right before Christmas, and so now want to pay less money in exchange for less targeted campaigns. However, it is important to me that the ads are always reputable. The "spam", for example, was a general eBay ad ... while maybe not relevant to the specific contents on that particular page, definitely of interest to the DaniWeb audience as a whole.

KevinADC, I'm quite disappointed you're leaving us as a result of an ad which I already expressed last week as being rogue. It absolutely positively should not be appearing. I notified the ad agency which I thought was sending it out to stop doing so, thinking the problem was fixed. However, since you still got it, it appears that it's a different agency I'm working with which must be sending it out ... which means another phone call tomorrow.

The actual ad placements (a leaderboard next to the logo, a wide skyscraper in the sidebar, and a rectangle ad above the quick reply) have been the very same ad positions we've had for three years now, so I'm not convinced that it is the number of ads which are causing the disatisfaction. Instead, I think it might be the recent batch of ads which is giving the illusion / impression that the advertising is more noticable now than it was in the past.

For some reason which I'm still working on, it appears a bunch of ads have been misfiled by one of the agencies I deal with all in a small time frame ... first the fly-in unit which shouldn't have been and now this QuestionMarket ad which also shouldn't have been.

Ancient Dragon, set your resolution up as high as your video card / monitor are capable (native resolution if using an LCD) and then, from the Windows control panel, change your DPI from 96 DPI to 120 DPI. Also specify to use large fonts, large icons, and an extra large cursor. All of the important Windows GUI elements will appear much larger but it will all be smooth and anti-aliased and of much better quality than lowering the resolution.

speaking of IE5 16 bit...

did you know NT3.51 was supported right up until XP xame out? - the first 32 bit microsoft system

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.