The amount, size, placement, and etc, of advertisements on the pages is getting a bit obnoxious (one ad that scrolled across the screen was very obnoxious). I understand the need and the desire for advertising, but the pages are starting to look like billboards with some content thrown in instead of the other way around.

Regards,
Kevin

Recommended Answers

All 100 Replies

What ad scrolled across the screen? It's not supposed to do that! Can you take a screenshot next time you see it happen? Thanks!

ive never encountered a scrolly ad

the whole point is supposed to be that there intellitxt and revelant banners instead of full screen ads

What ad scrolled across the screen? It's not supposed to do that! Can you take a screenshot next time you see it happen? Thanks!

if it ever repeats I will let you know. I was pretty surprised myself.

ive never encountered a scrolly ad

the whole point is supposed to be that there intellitxt and revelant banners instead of full screen ads

hopefuly there will never be any full screen ads. :eek:

Have to admit that I think the work that Dani has put into the placement of ads integral to the site layout without impacting upon usability/readability is amongst the best I have encountered.

As others have said, there should be no scrolly ads as Dani is pretty strict with the advertising folk over what she will and and will not allow here.

Have to admit that I think the work that Dani has put into the placement of ads integral to the site layout without impacting upon usability/readability is amongst the best I have encountered.

As others have said, there should be no scrolly ads as Dani is pretty strict with the advertising folk over what she will and and will not allow here.

I see you are an administrator as well as a member of this forum in a variety of capacities, so I'm not surprised to see that you appreciate the efforts this site takes to balance the needs of advertisers with the needs of the forum members. But I trust you would be objective and criticise this site if you thought something was in need of criticism, so I take it that you are being honest and not just jumping to Dani's defense as a loyal member of this website/forum.

I disagree with you about it being the best or even better than many other forums. I post frequently on about 10 programming/web dev forums and daniweb ranks low in that regards.

Of all the forums I post on, this is the only one I have ever bothered to mention that the advertisments are starting to get too prominent, or as I put it: obnoxious.

Anyways, I've made my point, there is nothing new for me to add to it. This is a good site, keep up the good work.

i think daniwebs ads are great
they dont get in the way and daniweb is free unlike say experts echange where there are loads of ads and you have to pay

Dani, please see the attached screenshot.

Thanks for that!

But I trust you would be objective and criticise this site if you thought something was in need of criticism, so I take it that you are being honest and not just jumping to Dani's defense as a loyal member of this website/forum.

Indeed I would, and have done before now :)

I disagree with you about it being the best or even better than many other forums. I post frequently on about 10 programming/web dev forums and daniweb ranks low in that regards.

It's good to disagree, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a discussion forum after all :) My experience is different to yours, but I guess we don't frequent the same haunts.

Your opinions with regard to ways we could improve are always welcome.

Anyways, I've made my point, there is nothing new for me to add to it. This is a good site, keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated.

Thats the same one I saw.

i think daniwebs ads are great
they dont get in the way and daniweb is free unlike say experts echange where there are loads of ads and you have to pay

I don't know how you could think the ads are great, but I could see how you think they are not intrusive. EE does have ads, but I don't see any ads on EE, I'm one of the "experts", the experts don't see adds and don't pay to use the site. Maybe daniweb could do that too? :cheesy:

Whilst on the subject of advertising I was wondering what the view of the IntelliTXT adverts was; some of them seem to be pointing at really scummy sites.

Attached a screenshot of the one in question.

I know the targets are out of control but I think its a bit dodgy pointing to internet scum merchants.

I don't see what the problem with that is. If the customer is interested in scum merchants, then that's the customer's choice to make. Are people to be babies that have their options obscured from them?

I guess Miss Dani once said the IntelliTXT ads were only for the reputed sites like Intel, Microsoft etc. But I think things are changing rather fast here...

One thing we should not be responsible for while advertising is to misguide people. Miscrosoft, Intel are okay since they don't atleast swindle people. But with such ads ...

When I signed with IntelliTXT they assured me that all the ads would always be for really high quality companies like Microsoft, etc. Tomorrow I will call up my rep and see what's up.

Sounds good and should be done as soon as possible. You wouldn't want your baby to collect bad reputation, would you ?

What sites? I came here from Tek-Tips, because at the time Daniweb didn't use IntelliTXT and Tek-Tips did. Now that this site is polluted with it too, I've been searching for a site that won't trash/spam your posts with "in-text advertising".

I've looked at Experts-Exchange, and didn't like it. Again, the ads: IntelliTXT, and popunders, in particular.

A few years ago, I was active on codetoad.com, but found the overall quality poor. Well, that isn't quite fair. What I mean is that there were a lot of "askers" compared to very few "answerers". I don't mind answering questions, but I want a site where I can learn, too.

The prevailing forum culture, particulary with vBulletin-driven forums (which I myself use), seems to put ad revenue, and SEO-nonsense, as top priorities. People pick a forum topic because it's "hot" and they think therefore they can get lots of traffic and revenue, rather than because they have anything to say about the topic itself.

So, I'll give Daniweb this much: a lot of work goes into the content, and historically there have been very knowledgable folks here. The culture is changing, though. I think Daniweb is at a crucial moment, and I'm interested in seeing which way it goes.

The amount, size, placement, and etc, of advertisements on the pages is getting a bit obnoxious (one ad that scrolled across the screen was very obnoxious). I understand the need and the desire for advertising, but the pages are starting to look like billboards with some content thrown in instead of the other way around.

Regards,
Kevin

Yes, this has happened to me on a number of occasions. I was very surprised. A very agressive ad that comes from screen-left and hangs in the middle (right over what I am reading:mad:).

I will screen shoot it if I ever encounter it again.

sharky_machine

Mr. Thomas, for you the only place I can think of is Google groups. The minimum of ads, the maximum of knowledgeable people, the maximum chance of learning something new, the opportunity to be among the majority of answerers etc.

The culture is changing, though. I think Daniweb is at a crucial moment, and I'm interested in seeing which way it goes.

I guess you already have drawn a conclusion by now based on the things which you have read here....

"The culture is changing, though. I think Daniweb is at a crucial moment, and I'm interested in seeing which way it goes."

In what way is the culture "changing" (from what it "was" to present)?

I have not been here for more than a number of months so I cannot recall the history of Daniweb.

Daniweb, to me provides a positive outlet to not only learn and improve my skill-sets, it is: fun, funny, and at times inspirational. Well, I've set it as my homepage: it's the first thing I see in the morn and the last thing I see before bed, so, I guess that says something about its staying power and positive nature.

I can accept the ads-- who cares? I can handle some of the rude and ego-filled characters that flutter through and flame me. Where do these people not exist, unfortunately? God help them.

I give Daniweb a very high rating, with, of course, the general leeway for healthy improvement as any good project must have.

sharky_machine

If I'd already given up all hope, I wouldn't be participating in threads like this. I'm still hoping that Dani, a very skilled programmer, with whom I've spent many a pleasant hour conversing and debating, will step back into her role as main site administrator. I respect Davey as a writer and greatly enjoy his blog postings, but when the administrative reins were put in his hands, the culture changed. I've no doubt that his decisions are "good for business", as such, but have had a negative impact on the make-up of the moderation staff, the overall quality and nature of postings, and therefore the overall sense of community. Daniweb is currently on the path of becoming just another overly monetized, ad-heavy tech forum filled with unanswered or poorly answered posts.

IntelliTXT is just the first example. What other bad "management level" decisions, open to no debate, with no regard for the impact on the community, await? The ads here are past the point of "in your face", with IntelliTXT, the ads are "in your mouth". Dani at least ran a trial, and bent over backwards to try to answer the objections IntelliTXT generated. When it became apparent that many of the most qualifed, most active moderators/members still objected, she consented to not use it, even though she herself had no objections to it. I find that very commendable, even noble. However, when the decision was put in Davey's hands, it became a "business decision", and the fact that moderators would resign made no difference. We resigned for "personal reasons". That is a profound difference in attitude and priorities. Even so, it's not too late to fix things, so I watch and wait.

commented: Well said. -joeprogrammer +5

What sites? I came here from Tek-Tips, because at the time Daniweb didn't use IntelliTXT and Tek-Tips did. Now that this site is polluted with it too, I've been searching for a site that won't trash/spam your posts with "in-text advertising".

I've looked at Experts-Exchange, and didn't like it. Again, the ads: IntelliTXT, and popunders, in particular.

A few years ago, I was active on codetoad.com, but found the overall quality poor. Well, that isn't quite fair. What I mean is that there were a lot of "askers" compared to very few "answerers". I don't mind answering questions, but I want a site where I can learn, too.

The prevailing forum culture, particulary with vBulletin-driven forums (which I myself use), seems to put ad revenue, and SEO-nonsense, as top priorities. People pick a forum topic because it's "hot" and they think therefore they can get lots of traffic and revenue, rather than because they have anything to say about the topic itself.

So, I'll give Daniweb this much: a lot of work goes into the content, and historically there have been very knowledgable folks here. The culture is changing, though. I think Daniweb is at a crucial moment, and I'm interested in seeing which way it goes.

I have not citicised the quality of the content on the daniweb site, which I agree is very good. I have already said I think this is a good website.

Tek-tips has one small ad at the top of the pages plus the intellitxt. For me, EE has no ads as I am an expert on that site and experts past a very easy to reach level of points see no ads.

The intellitxt really does not bother me. It is very easy to avoid passing over the text. I prefer that over large animated banner ads.

My concern is that the advertising here is starting to get obnoxious. I can live with the current level and placement of ads on this site. But if gets any worse, I probably will not be coming back here, which will be no big deal, it's not like I'm a big fish on this site. My participation or lack there-of will not be missed or even noticed.

> My participation or lack there-of will not be missed or even noticed.
Actually that's not quite true, as *I* know who you are, and the administrator of the site knowing who you are has to say something.

I probably will not be coming back here, which will be no big deal, it's not like I'm a big fish on this site. My participation or lack there-of will not be missed or even noticed.

Oh come on Kevin, how can you say that ? What do you think should be done to make each and every contributing core member feel special ?

I do agree there are not many Perl hackers around here, but that shouldn't give you the feeling that you are not wanted. I guess since you don't visit the Geek's Lounge, you are not accquanited with many people and vice versa.

Even though our paths never cross a lot, I hope even you have the same the desire to render help to people out there who desperately or badly need it.

Hope it made you feel better...

Regards,
~s.o.s~

> My participation or lack there-of will not be missed or even noticed.
Actually that's not quite true, as *I* know who you are, and the administrator of the site knowing who you are has to say something.

hehehe.... you're a nice person, can I adopt you? :mrgreen:

I probably will not be coming back here, which will be no big deal, it's not like I'm a big fish on this site. My participation or lack there-of will not be missed or even noticed.

Thats horrible to think like that just cause of a miss understanding and what not....

Take care

Mr. Thomas, for you the only place I can think of is Google groups. The minimum of ads, the maximum of knowledgeable people, the maximum chance of learning something new, the opportunity to be among the majority of answerers etc.
I guess you already have drawn a conclusion by now based on the things which you have read here....

Actually, I think he means that a lot of old, helpful people are lesser and lesser to be seen (and I hope I'm included in that category).:cheesy:. I agree with Thomas' sentiment that a forum should be a place where you can learn and not just get answers to problems. But I also believe that DaniWeb's still a good place to learn. I've learned and am astill learning new stuff each time I visit here. Whenever I need help, DaniWeb is the first site I visit (after Google that is, but I don't think Google counts here).

ads are a necessary evil to the survival of DaniWeb, or any other free site. I would rather see a few ads than be forced to pay a monthly fee like some sites require. I did see one ad the other day I thought was inappropriate -- "We'll do all your homework for you (for a price of course)" was the subject.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.