Everyone has his own view point. Thomas has his own, I have my own and you have yours. I don't believe in 'shooing' off kids if thats what you are asking. I have no problems with you people posting in word games and what not.

Its just that it is good to comply with the request of senior posters once in a while. Why not try to write properly and avoid l33t speak altogether? Its not that you have anything to lose.

Other than posts with single words like 'Oh yeah', 'lol', 'thanks', 'yep' etc. and l33t speak, I have nothing against you people. :-)

I've been a member longer than ~s.o.s~. You can see each user's "Join Date" in every post. The purpose of the Feedback forum is to give opinions about the site to the site's administration, and for them to respond. It's not intended for the massive rambling discussions we're getting lately (mea culpa). So on that level, why would you care about someone else's opinions about my posts? I post them for staff consideration, and whether you agree or disagree doesn't particularly concern me.

That said, I'd be happy to consider anything ~s.o.s~ has to say about the matter. Knowing him as I do, I can already tell you it will be tacful and kind.

Other than posts with single words like 'Oh yeah', 'lol', 'thanks', 'yep' etc. and l33t speak, I have nothing against you people. :-)

haha.. you make it seem like we're our own race:D

We'll anyway.. back to topic: I thought the negative rep. was supposed to be fixed after the website was updated.. But actually, I like it better only allowing mods, admins, and colleagues to give negative rep..

I've been a member longer than ~s.o.s~. You can see each user's "Join Date" in every post. The purpose of the Feedback forum is to give opinions about the site to the site's administration, and for them to respond. It's not intended for the massive rambling discussions we're getting lately (mea culpa). So on that level, why would you care about someone else's opinions about my posts? I post them for staff consideration, and whether you agree or disagree doesn't particularly concern me.

That said, I'd be happy to consider anything ~s.o.s~ has to say about the matter. Knowing him as I do, I can already tell you it will be tacful and kind.

Well, sos is a mod, so he practically is administration. I just wanted to know what he thought about it.. I agree that Daniweb has probably been 'dumbed' down a bit.. (I joined only 6 months after you) But not too significantly..

Every "Team Colleague" is a former moderator, if that makes any difference to you. But you should consider my posts on their own merit, rather than on what a third party thinks of them, how long I've been here, my romantic affair with Dani, or any other extraneous factor. Do YOU agree with me? Great. Do YOU disagree with me? That's fine, too. Make a decision, act on it.

yes, I know what a 'team colleague' is.. I was just looking for a third party to either concur or deny what you were ranting about.. b/c to be honest, I did not really think there was much of a problem with people using 'chatroom speak'.

http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry350.html

It's enough of a problem to be against the rules, and it's been growing lately.

Honestly, I don't know what you're ranting about. I rarely use 'chat room' speak with the exception of 'lol' and smiley faces. Now what is so wrong with that?

If you feel my "rants" don't apply to you, then move on. If you don't use 1337-sp33k, then you can ignore my thoughts on that topic.

If you feel my "rants" don't apply to you, then move on. If you don't use 1337-sp33k, then you can ignore my thoughts on that topic.

Well obviously you directed them towards me when you included my name in the post proclaiming I was part of the 'myspace kids.' Sooo... yeah.
Do you even know what myspace really is? :-/

You're confusing several different aspects of my post(s) - and I have no incentive to disambiguate things for you. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, so feel free to ignore me completely.

s.o.s.- you've obviously been a daniweb member for a while.. What do you think about tgreer's posts? Do you think that more and more teenagers are using the forum, and treating it like an informal chat room? I'm sorry if I come off this way.. It's just what I'm used to:S

I know this is aimed at SOS, but I've actually been here longer. :icon_wink:. For the record, the old Daniweb was much more different then it is now. And yes, it appears that more and more teenagers are using Daniweb. Now whether or not that's a good thing is not my decision.

But yes, in comparison, today's Daniweb looks like an informal chatroom in comparison to DW just 1 year ago.

I know this is aimed at SOS, but I've actually been here longer. :icon_wink:. For the record, the old Daniweb was much more different then it is now. And yes, it appears that more and more teenagers are using Daniweb. Now whether or not that's a good thing is not my decision.

But yes, in comparison, today's Daniweb looks like an informal chatroom in comparison to DW just 1 year ago.

I've been here longing than you, so HA!;)

But in all seriousness, thanks for your post. I really didn't post much when I first registered (I actually think I only had like 60 posts a couple weeks ago), so I don't know what the old daniweb was like. But I have noticed that there are many more teenagers using the forum... Which isn't necessarily bad, but it does have some repercussions. The percent of teenage members will only increase over the next couple of years..

I just want to know what's so wrong with teens these days? It's not like we're trying to dominate the world or anything. (Just Daniweb) ;)

I just want to know what's so wrong with teens these days? It's not like we're trying to dominate the world or anything. (Just Daniweb) ;)

lol.. well I guess we kinda scare the old people;)

It's more like you aren't even trying to match the professional appearance that Daniweb strives for. While many people, professionals included, to take to using common abbreviations, spelling as a whole should be correct. An abbreviation and a [sometimes deliberate] typo are two drastically different things, and they give off very different impressions.

It's more like you aren't even trying to match the professional appearance that Daniweb strives for. While many people, professionals included, to take to using common abbreviations, spelling as a whole should be correct. An abbreviation and a [sometimes deliberate] typo are two drastically different things, and they give off very different impressions.

And again, none of that implies to me. So how am I not being 'professional?'

Good Lord! Which thread to pick?

When I was railing against appealing to the lowest common denominator, I had no idea that the change would be this pervasive this quickly. I stepped down as moderator because I felt the moderator rules were too draconian, but I see that what I refused to put my name to is simply unenforced and (in my opinion) to this site's detriment.

Daniweb is changing from a "Tech Talk Forum" into something I cannot read for anything technical. Smilies, leet-speak, etc.: the noise to signal ratio has been nothing but up, up, up!

It seems as though (again, in my opinion) that Dani's focus on format uniformity has completely ignored quality content. "It is professional if all fonts are the same," vs. "What is said is gibberish in the same font."

Over time, technical folks will grow weary of putting up with such nonsense and find a home elsewhere. Of course, they will be replaced by new experts. But sometimes this is trading down. An overall watering down in favor of more traffic?

I am growing curious of Dani's intentions for the site. Is it a place for technical information exchange? Or is it merely a place for folks who have a computer to chat in? (I asked a similar question a while back, but of course it remains unanswered.)

For anyone who has been here for a while:
What is Daniweb and why are you here?

---

Incidentally, with regard to the topic title: I have seen rep work decently elseweb, and I have seen it fail miserably in a number of places. It seems more of a useless burden if it cannot be implemented correctly.

To rephrase what tgreer says, if it doesn't apply to you, don't apply it to yourself. Whether it applies to you or not, what I was talking about extends beyond spelling as well. Behavior and manner of members is also a factor in how the sight is perceived. I'd like to help it be a clean, professional, helpful, and efficient place. There's lots of other sites for random distractions or hanging out.

And you are a "MySpace kid". I seem to recall you mentioning the site and supporting it various times. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and you don't seem to be one of the stereotypical MySpace users (that's a compliment, btw), but you do come from a MySpace background (bad way to put it, but hopefully you get the idea).

And you are a "MySpace kid". I seem to recall you mentioning the site and supporting it various times. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and you don't seem to be one of the stereotypical MySpace users (that's a compliment, btw), but you do come from a MySpace background (bad way to put it, but hopefully you get the idea).

Yes, I do have myspace. But that shouldn't be a stereotype, just because I have it. =/
If anything, it should be a positive thing, because I don't waste my time doing those types of things here.

If it doesn't apply, then why are you stressed about it? If you want a very specific criticism directed to you personally so you can justifiably react, then consider this: you're on an IT Discussion Forum. You're not in IT. You don't discuss IT-related topics. You don't contribute anything substantial to the site, no topic on-topic - and yet you want Dani to change the reputation system for you so you don't get negative reputation.

That's why I've lumped you into a category of new members who seem oblivious to what Daniweb is all about. For some reason, Daniweb's staff now tolerates this kind of non-contributory member, doesn't issue infractions against rule violations, allows threads to be hijacked, etc.

I'm not attacking you, I'm explaining something to you. There's a difference. Trying to read threads here where you and Josh go back and forth is like trying to watch a movie when the people behind you just won't stop talking. In fact, the entire Geek's Lounge is now that way.

Yes, I do have myspace. But that shouldn't be a stereotype, just because I have it. =/
If anything, it should be a positive thing, because I don't waste my time doing those types of things here.

That's the problem with stereotypes :icon_wink:

So what's the current stand on reputation. Is it meaningless? If so, fine. And if so, remove the "Rep Power" indicator from the posts.

But if it is supposed to have some meaning, we need the author known, and listed with the rep. It will prevent neg rep for the sake of giving neg rep, like I just got from someone not brave enough to identify themselves, and not smart enough to make the comment meaningful.

The current status of rep is ... put off until the new style is working good and bug free.

I don't want to show who gave rep because then it would turn into a behind the scenes flame war, no? I give you bad rep so you give me bad rep, blah blah. I thought that being anonymous would be less MySpacey.

I think you should have the option to report reps that you dont agree with

>I think you should have the option to report reps that you dont agree with
Pfff, can you imagine that? Most people "don't agree" with the negative reputation they get, and then what are the moderators supposed to do? Infract the user? Or, heaven forbid, give reputation to the user who was "infairly repped"?

That doesn't even make any sense.

No i mean remove the rep if its something stupid like "heres a red rep to give your rep page better feung shui"

Then there'd be no point to bad rep; you'd just remove it. Let Dani get the new layout figured out, then she can decide what to do with the rep system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.