Hi,

Due to conversations that have been going on in the Area 51 forum for quite some time, as well as in our IRC channel, I have decided to make reputation no longer count within the Coffee House category.

To quote Davey in Area 51, "reputation is meant to be a metric of the members value to the support side of the community, so a newbie can quickly see if the person answering their question is more or less likely to know what they are talking about. It was never intended to be a slap on the back thing for boosting the ego of ones friends or destroying the fragile ego of others."

As a result, I feel that disabling one's reputation power in the Coffee House is the only viable alternative towards reestablishing any type of significance to reputation.

It should be noted that the only change being made is that positive or negative reputation you receive for a Coffee House forum will not affect your reputation. As a result, it will not taint the overall rep # sitewide.

It is still possible to give reputation to Coffee House posts, comments will still show up in member profiles, and you will still be able to see all of the reputation comments handed out inline within posts. Additionally, posts within the Coffee House that receive reputation will still display a little icon indicating so and everyone will still be able to see at a glance the good posts versus the bad ones.

To reiterate, reputation handed out in the Coffee House will still be considered positive or negative, and be displayed everywhere like regular reputation, but it will have no influence on a user's rep power bar.

I think this is a happy medium because, to the best of my ability, it restores the original intention of reputation in the technical forums, while still allowing reputation to be an added-value feature in the Coffee House.

This will be a retroactive change. In other words, all members' rep power will be recalculated to not include the reputation points gained or lost in the Coffee House. The recalculation will happen over the course of this afternoon and evening.

Thank you for understanding and bearing with me.

arjunsasidharan commented: Brilliant, Just brilliant. :) +3

Recommended Answers

All 96 Replies

Member Avatar for xander85

Your hot! :D Seriously!

Nice idea, but a question, will our present rep recieved from the coffee house be eliminated?

commented: Good question +10

Well done dani

Your hot! :D Seriously!

lol

will our present rep recieved from the coffee house be eliminated?

Yes, if I read this part right.

This will be a retroactive change. In other words, all members' rep power will be recalculated to not include the reputation points gained or lost in the Coffee House. The recalculation will happen over the course of this afternoon and evening.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Nice idea, but a question, will our present rep recieved from the coffee house be eliminated?

I think overall this is a good idea, seeing as the purpose of Daniweb is as technical based forum. Definitely!

Reputation you received from the Coffee House will no longer be factored into your overall Reputation Power. However, as you can see here (via your post in this thread), all posts still have their own individual rep bars and reputation does still exist in the Coffee House.

commented: This rep is meaningless :P thanks anyway +2

oh well i only went dowm from 624 to 224 i only have 100 less than dani now hahahahaha

what about post count? will that still count?

For real Dani. I think you are sexy :) a female tech is so "cool." Not to freak you out or anything :D

commented: She photoshopped out the zits and cold sores. -1
commented: If she used photoshop don't you think she would have made her nose smaller. *Winks and blows a kiss Dani's way* +9

Post count is meant to be a reflection of how much you've contributed, and therefore contributions to all forums counts equally. The reputation system, however, was designed to be a metric of how knowledgeable or helpful a user is in answering technical questions, and for that reason the Coffee House reputation points no longer count towards a user's overall rep power.

okay thanks

p.s i think you have a stalker dani ;)

This weird, I had maybe 4-5 reps from coffe house and it drop too much for me, from 4 bars to only one. Why so? Minimum 75% of my reputation was hard worked for in tech forums, reporting span, double posting etc.

same i had 7 now 3?

i do loads on the win2k/nt/xp forum

I do not want add extra work to Dani, but if she can contact each member with his/her full printout of reputation befor deduction and mark reputation which will be not counted that would be nice

This weird, I had maybe 4-5 reps from coffe house and it drop too much for me, from 4 bars to only one. Why so? Minimum 75% of my reputation was hard worked for in tech forums, reporting span, double posting etc.

same i had 7 now 3?

i do loads on the win2k/nt/xp forum

Remember, when someone with a lot of rep power gives you positive reputation, it impacts your rep more than someone with a little rep power. What you're noticing is most likely happening because of people like Christina who had a LOT of Geek's Lounge reputation, and so one rep from her outweighed like 10 posts from newbies thanking you for solving their technical problems. That reputation is now gone. However, EVERYONE'S reputation has decreased significantly. In the long run, reputation will be more accurate moving forward.

I do not want add extra work to Dani, but if she can contact each member with his/her full printout of reputation befor deduction and mark reputation which will be not counted that would be nice

You do realize there are 200,000 members, right? :) But ... umm ... what would be the benefit to this? Posts that you've received positive rep from in the Coffee House are still displayed inline within the posts and the latest reputation in your control panel and member profile still includes Coffee House rep.

Good point dani. Can we please make the grey rep once something then? even if its only like 1 or else people who help newbies who might post only once get penilized

p.s does rep from the lounges and watercooler still count? thats hardly technical and if were gonna not count the coffeehouse, surely we shouldnt count that?

Difficult to get your calculations Dani, I had what 460 something points? Now I landed 94. You trying to tell me that 350 reputation gone beacuse of that....

Yes, I was always against reputation from coffe house but to loose my reputation builded in tech forums is not fair :'(

Are you sure you taking rep from coffe house only and not some others too?

Whoa. Are you sure you are cancelling all the - reps too ?

Dani, you just made my day. Thank you so much for this, reputation is much more accurate and looks a lot more like it was about 7 months ago. A much-needed band-aid; reputation is now a bit meaningful.

Dani, you just made my day. Thank you so much for this, reputation is much more accurate and looks a lot more like it was about 7 months ago. A much-needed band-aid; reputation is now a bit meaningful.

++

Thanks much Dani! :)

hah yea, 7 months ago when me and christina started posting.. ;)

++

Thanks much Dani! :)

hey infarction...

Definition: In medicine, an infarction is the process resulting in a macroscopic area of necrotic tissue in some organ caused by loss of adequate blood supply. Supplying arteries may be blocked from within by some obstruction (e.g. a blood clot or fatty cholesterol deposit), or may be mechanically compressed or ruptured by trauma.

commented: Third post in this thread that detracts from the topic -2

Im really glad regarding the rep points. Just realised that ive been contributing more in the VB.net forum than the coffee house. I have two green dots. Im superior to peter budo ;)

hey infarction...

Definition...

Wow, someone actually looked it up! I'm honored :P (yes, that was the intended spelling, whereas many people at first take it to be a typo of "infraction")

I'm just guessing here, but didn't you get a lot of your reputation from reporting bad posts? From what I can tell, most 'restricted' forums such as Staff Writers Workshop, Moderator's Place, Area 51, etc. are located within the Coffee House parent forum. It would be a logical assumption that the 'flagged bad posts' are also located within this category, and thus the reputation you receive for reporting them. I could be wrong though.

I'm just guessing here, but didn't you get a lot of your reputation from reporting bad posts? From what I can tell, most 'restricted' forums such as Staff Writers Workshop, Moderator's Place, Area 51, etc. are located within the Coffee House parent forum. It would be a logical assumption that the 'flagged bad posts' are also located within this category, and thus the reputation you receive for reporting them. I could be wrong though.

Nah bad posts flaged by me been mostely from Java, JSP and associaly from other languages. I'm angy because I had defenetly 2 reputation marks last summer, which took quite a time to earn it and I was strip of it. I was very proude when I got it and looking back before posting games it said something about member.
Most funny thing? How christina>you has 2 reputation marks? With virtualy no posts in technical section. I say virtualy as there been few, but not so much as to earn minimum 100 points for it.
Sorry christina>you, you just happend to be perfect example/victim to use...

Are you sure you taking rep from coffe house only and not some others too?

I think that where, for example, I gave you rep for reporting posts, flagging spam etc - which would have counted highly as coming from an admin - this has been removed as the Reported Posts forum is part of the Coffee House category. Even though the posts you have flagged are in technical forums, the reported posts forum where such postings are dealt with by the mod team is in Coffee House.

Now i only have 1 block, ugh, i try my best in the tech forums yet no one reps me so i never get higher. I had 4 before, ruddy cofffee house...

Then I'm even more disapointed. Reporting bad post and spam Coffe House category :ooh: :angry:
I didn't know that this sort of work is so low valued

Now bennet is bad repping me!
I just saying what i have heard or know from my 'limited' tech knowledge, what a 'friend' he is....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.