Member Avatar for iamthwee

Yes Dani will know, tis why she's queen :)

At this stage of the game, it is not feasable nor worth the server power to wipe a clean slate and recalculate how much reputation power a user should have had at the point in time when they handed out reputation to someone else.

It just isn't worth that level of detail to "fix" the system.

In doing the recalculation, I kept it simple and did not touch the amount of reputation points handed out each time. In other words, if someone like Christina positively repped someone for a Tech Talk thread last month, that user would still get the full benefit of Christina's previous rep power.

I don't feel that repping the reporting of a bad post should be counted. As has been mentioned, it should reflect the helpfulness to other in answering questions, not policing the board.

Agreed. If someone gets rep points for flagging spam, what is really the point of reputation, then? So you can see how much they flag spam? I don't want to sound harsh here, but you can train any old bum to flag spam. It's valued, yes. But technical contributions should have higher value. Having the "thank you for flagging spam" message in my "Latest reputation received" is enough for me.

haha who cares?! It's reputation. I remember people complaining prior to Dani changing the rep system.. At one time I had the second highest reputation points in the community (next to that damn sanjay ), and no one seemed to care when Rashakil executed his rep program that skewed reputation badly. You guys just said "Oh, who cares, it's just rep. It doesn't even matter." And I agreed, it doesn't matter. So, I have the same message for you: It's just reputation points! If you want more, then continue contributing to the community, as I'm sure you will get more this way

I also agree with you. Sorta. I think the more accurate reputation is, the more meaning it holds. So before Dani's rep script was executed, reputation meant absolutely nothing. Now however, it could potentially be a useful site feature.

And regarding the last rep comment you sent me, I'll say that I didn't really care either. It was pure curiosity that got the better of me, and while I didn't publicly say so, I did discover that while Christina's non-Coffe House posts may be few, they were primarily in Web Browsers and Website Reviews. I don't think research ever hurt anyone, and because peter_budo seemed a bit miffed at his reputation, I decided to share my findings with everyone else. Personally, I couldn't care less if you decide to flame me, so go right ahead. :P

commented: Yes. Reporting spam is more of the janitorial mod duty. Voluntarily done: great -- but not necessarily a useful reply. +11

Agreed. If someone gets rep points for flagging spam, what is really the point of reputation, then? So you can see how much they flag spam? I don't want to sound harsh here, but you can train any old bum to flag spam. It's valued, yes. But technical contributions should have higher value. Having the "thank you for flagging spam" message in my "Latest reputation received" is enough for me.

Yes, I agree too. Besides, not all flagged spam posts are rewarded with +rep. The best and easiest thing would be just not to count any of it.

Personally, I couldn't care less if you decide to flame me, so go right ahead. :P

Oh, I don't want to flame you ;) .. only in the forums regarding to apple products :D

Arrgh!! im back to one green dot :( . Damn you peter_budo ;). Well i guess i have to start all over again :). Im left with 68 points.

Arrgh!! im back to one green dot :( . Damn you peter_budo ;). Well i guess i have to start all over again :). Im left with 68 points.

Welcome to one green dot club :) .Finally reputation is looking as should be. These which worked for it, are finally rewarded...

Thank you Dani, I'm happy with second outcome.

Yay i am rep king!

Congratulation :)

I'm just sorry that admin/moderator did not edit my post, even after I flaged for editing. I was little angry at the morning when I made that comment. My bad...

I guess my rep is going down day by day, -20 points. :)

Hey, don't complain... :(

I think Christina and I were affected the most..

How is someone who hasnt posted since early 2006 3rd in rep?

They are special!
Well if you actually look, he got reped this year for summit, so meh let them got on with it and stop whining james!

>stop whining james!

Maybe he miss his milk-bottle ;)

:$ :d

Most funny thing? How christina>you has 2 reputation marks? With virtualy no posts in technical section. I say virtualy as there been few, but not so much as to earn minimum 100 points for it.
Sorry christina>you, you just happend to be perfect example/victim to use...

Huh? What are you talking about... I only have 1 rep block lol. And if you must know my points, I have 35. :) But I'm actually glad the rep system is like this, it's not like I honestly deserved any of the positive rep I received anyway. It was fun while it lasted. ;)

Huh? What are you talking about... I only have 1 rep block lol. And if you must know my points, I have 35. :) But I'm actually glad the rep system is like this, it's not like I honestly deserved any of the positive rep I received anyway. It was fun while it lasted. ;)

That was when they run first reputation update, which was not what expected. Second landed you and many others with only one rep block.

Anyway Dani missed some Coffee House reputation from the original deletion, so you may find that you have lost more, like me...

I think it would help if "graybies" counted for a point or two. Out of over 300 posts in Java and PHP, many of my rep comments come from new users to just say "Thanks, that helped". Honestly, it's nice enough just to get the comment, but if those counted just a bit then rep would creep up as help was meeted out.

I read some of the Gray Reputation thread so I understand why it's the way it is, but it seems a mere point or two wouldn't foster "rep wars".

Just my thoughts. I'm fairly new and just help out with the tech questions for the heck of it, so I'm not really inclined to sweat it either way.

Yes, I agree. I've also had my share of 'newbie rep'. I believe giving new members a +1/+2 rep point affect on others could definitely help the system.

The problem with that is that somebody could write a bot to create new accounts and then rep themselves. It's been discussed before, and I think it's good enough as it is now.

Totally agree with that, make noob rep mean summit, like 5 points. Due to large numbers of 'noobs' but not many use the rep system 5 points i think should be adiquate.

The point of reputation isn't for thanks. Reputation is a meter that shows how you've been recognized by the other established members at Daniweb based on the value of your contributions. Noobs who do use the rep system will give rep for a simple answer. If you want thanks, read the reply they almost always leave...

commented: Bingo! +20

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Yes infarcation, i agree with you there, but how many well esablished members have frequent problems which others can help wth? Not very frequently, and if your like me who has major knowledge in a few areas, it's even harder to get repped because you are getting repped by the 'noob' community who have no power compared to the well established members.

Do you get where i'm coming from though?

You are under the wrong impression that you get repped by people only if you help them. Many established members of this site rep people for good replies. Even I rep many people in C/C++, Java, Javascript forums so it doesn't mean they answered my questions. Its just that they put across a valid, useful and helpful answer.

I guess thats the real meaning of reputation i.e. having a reputation in the eyes of the ones who understand the real meaning behind it.

Also Serunson if you have major knowledge in a few areas, why don't you try to write some good tutorials and you can get reputation there...

The problem with that is that somebody could write a bot to create new accounts and then rep themselves. It's been discussed before, and I think it's good enough as it is now.

I highly doubt anyone would do such a thing.. What would be the purpose? Simply to gain reputation in the community? I'm quite certain that such activity could be easily monitored. If some random person that no one has ever heard of before all of a sudden has 700 rep points, then perhaps that member should be investigated for 'fraud' by the admins. It would not be hard to catch people doing that, and I doubt many would anyways.. We are just talking about small points (like 1-5) for new members.

The point of reputation isn't for thanks. Reputation is a meter that shows how you've been recognized by the other established members at Daniweb based on the value of your contributions. Noobs who do use the rep system will give rep for a simple answer. If you want thanks, read the reply they almost always leave...

But on the contrary, you have to ask yourself what is the purpose of an IT community such as this? The reason for its very existence is to help one another... to share our knowledge, and in return be taught something ourselves. So, the new members should be allowed a voice in the community. If any Daniweb member helps another with a problem, be it little or small (what does it matter? That member was stumped and needed help.. it shouldn't matter whether the problem seemed idiotic to the tech gurus) then the member who donated his time and knowledge should be rewarded. The rep system should not be ultimately controlled by the daniweb regulars... it should exist in such a way to reward those who help others, and who contribute to the overall success of the community.

There, that is my humble opinion on the matter..

You're missing the point.

rep·u·ta·tion –noun
1.the estimation in which a person or thing is held, esp. by the community or the public generally; repute: a man of good reputation.

2.favorable repute; good name: to ruin one's reputation by misconduct.

3.a favorable and publicly recognized name or standing for merit, achievement, reliability, etc.: to build up a reputation.

Reputation is to demonstrate you achievements, not your efforts. If you help a lot of people, it'll be visible by your post count (with some obvious outliers). If your answers are widely regarded for their quality, it'll be shown through rep.

I highly doubt anyone would do such a thing.. What would be the purpose? Simply to gain reputation in the community?

It's possible. It certainly doesn't have the shock value of Rashakil's bot, but someone might do it. We seem to have a couple people who care about it that much...

But on the contrary, you have to ask yourself what is the purpose of an IT community such as this? The reason for its very existence is to help one another... to share our knowledge, and in return be taught something ourselves... <snipped for length>

We are still doing what we come here to do: ask and answer questions. There are many other forums that do the same thing, without the reputation system. All we've been trying to say is that the rep system is a frill whereby the regular users can give a little something to each other for putting forth an effort. We've already seen that the system becomes valueless if people are giving rep for no reason. Noobs would probably rep the first person that gave them a functional answer (if they'd do it at all), and it would not carry the same meaning anymore. The system in place now is the way it should be.

Well i stand corrected.
I shall see what i can do on the tutorial front, gunna be around hardware mainly probably. Check them out once i have meade them, to check that i am not blabbering about rubbish :P

A question though, how do i post tutorials!
I see no option to post one in it's section.

To ensure a high quality of tutorials, they must all be passed through Davey. What you need to do is manually enter the URL of the newthread page ... ie www.daniweb.com/forums/newthread.php?f=XXX where XXX is the forum ID of the tutorials forum. Upon submitting, the tutorial goes into a queue where it has to be manually approved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.