I am thinking of doing a forum, just have some inquire is the forum software like phpbb free of charge?

Recommended Answers

All 38 Replies

Yes, phpBB is :)

PHPBB and myBB and Snitz there are alot of free softwares out there.

nah...i always go with invisionboard and invisionfree (a free version)

Don't know about the invisionfree stuff, but I think it's not allowing you FTP access (or does it?). You can go with phpBB and not have an issue (I am running 4 phpBB forums and I love them all), but you need to have full access to FTP and the phpmyadmin section. So that you can install a lot of nice mods and customize your skin beyond recognition :)

vBulletin is a paid forum script but it is the best one that there is out there (in my opinion at least).
If you can shed a couple of hundreds dollars, it is worthwhile getting.

$160 for the full license, actually :)

SMF (Simple Machines Forum) is another free one.

My thinking is like this:

If you're poor, or if you are a free software zealot (I am -- I want the ability to freely modify & use without restriction), then you should use phpBB. It's low-end, but you can apply mods to make it high-end.

If you're poor and NOT a free software zealot, you could try SMF. The license is too restrictive for my tastes, but it costs nothing, and it's better than phpBB out of the box.

For everything else, use VBulletin. In particular, if you can hold out for 3.6 and start with that, that would be best. 3.6 onwards looks nearly irresistible. But it costs $160, as Dani mentioned.

-Tony

I think phpBB is good for starting up, it is good and easy to use. It is easy to install.

phpBB is a very good free script. But you have to update it regularly as it is frequently targeted by hackers.

I'm excited to see how that Vanilla tableless full-CSS forum implementation fares in the long run. Simple is always the best IMO. When you really want to build community and focus on the actual discussions, everything else is just bloatware.

I have some vBulletin Licenses going at $40 and IPBs at $30, pm me for one.

I have some vBulletin Licenses going at $40 and IPBs at $30, pm me for one.

I didn't realize you could get bargain prices on vB licenses. Is this something you bought in bulk and got such a great deal on you can still make a profit by selling at 75% off the listed price? These are current version 3.5.4, right? And they will be fully supported at the vBulletin.com members area?

My preferences run toward vB too, but for a free software forum solution, I don't know as you can beat Simple Machines Forum. It is easily modified, more secure and has many more features than phpBB. Of course, I am not familiar with the latest version 3.x either. Wouldn't hurt to look into both.

R'gards,

Grump

Yeah, I bought a lot of licences, and now they can all go cheaper to other people. Although I did by them in march so I knocked the price down a bit because of sooner expiry.

I just looked at getvanilla ... I cannot use it at all. I had a forum I used to post at and now it's on vanilla and not on phpBB anymore. When I saw this awkward script (it's not as all the others we know), I just stopped posting. It's a pity since the topics were nice, but I just hate the way the script works ...

What about it don't you like? Is it just clumsy to navigate and use? The user interface looks elegant to me.

Yeh I think it's much simpler to use than other forum software. And the design is simply stunning even the default one.

I use phpBB for both my forums, and think it's wonderful. As PP said, you can add lots of scripts, so that it looks great, and not just like everyone elses :)

The problem with phpbb2 is the fact that novice users may find it hard to install these 'mods' as you actually have to into the code.
Now I'm not saying phpbb2 is rubbish because I myself have a community which runs phpbb. Vanilla allows the user to simply drop the mod file into a folder go to the admin control panel and activate it, simple as that.

vBulletin has a nice plugin system too. Vanilla looks awesome but haven't had a chance to play around with it yet.

MyBB is another excellent script and it's improving by the day. Though it lacks third party hacks and customizations, it should be a good option for those looking for a free, but fairly feature-rich board:
www.mybboard.net

Check out SMF too, because it is really configurable and customizable.

www.getvanilla.com

its going to revolutionize forum software =-o

That Vanilla looks pretty amazing!

You may want to try webwiz forums (they are ASP based rather than PHP so you will need a windows server unfortunately, but it is very good and completely free. I think IPB can be really nice and I think it can be quite alot nicer than vbulletin.

BTW. I wasn't really very impressed by that vanilla thing...

You may want to try webwiz forums (they are ASP based rather than PHP so you will need a windows server unfortunately, but it is very good and completely free. I think IPB can be really nice and I think it can be quite alot nicer than vbulletin.

BTW. I wasn't really very impressed by that vanilla thing...

Why??

Did you watch all the videos?

I have watched a few of the vids but it doesn't really seem to be as good as ipb or vb. What is it that is so good?

I have watched a few of the vids but it doesn't really seem to be as good as ipb or vb. What is it that is so good?

I dunno I just like it.

I can see why you like it. I just don't think it is as good as vb and ipb. But I suppose that is personal opinion. But vanilla is very clean. My main problem with it is that all the info seems to just be cluttered together. But each to his own.

I can see why you like it. I just don't think it is as good as vb and ipb. But I suppose that is personal opinion. But vanilla is very clean. My main problem with it is that all the info seems to just be cluttered together. But each to his own.

Yea I feel that way about it too. I am too used to vBulletin though and pretty stubborn :)

You people are very lucky because if Vanilla had been out a couple of years earlier this would have ended up as a Vanilla forum instead of a vBulletin forum. I am just a CSS FREAK!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.