Hi everyone, my name is Gary and I live on the Isle of Wight southern UK. I have been programming since I played with a commodore PET (8K RAM - green screen) way back in 1979. Since then I have progressed through 380Z, ZX80, ZX81, ZX Spectrum (even programmed that bugger in binary!), Amiga, and finally onto pcs.

Self taught VB3, 4, 5, 6, VS 2003, 2005, 2008. Classic asp, asp.net, C#, VB .NET, PHP, etc.

I have written software for the British MoD, the US DoD, in VB, and Navision. I have made several websites in both classic asp and asp.net. I got fed up with people wanting websites, but not knowing what they want from them, and also not wanting to pay the going rates, so I have quit doing them. Now I just go round and fix peoples computers as I can't stand the hassle of commercial programming. I still program for myself - have written several amateur radio programs, and am working on a monopoly game with a colleague in C#.

So there you are folks, me in a nutshell.

jephthah commented: old school! :) +8

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I Gary ,
we are happy to have an experienced guy like you.

Would like to see you soon contributing in your favorite sections of the forum.

I Gary ,
we are happy to have an experienced guy like you.

Would like to see you soon contributing in your favorite sections of the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. look forward to contributing.

Gary.

Hello Gary:)
Welcome to Daniweb forum!
Hope you are enjoying your stay here.

Welcome. Many people from the UK here, and a few amateur radio fans.

got fed up with people wanting websites, but not knowing what they want from them

Cant agree with you more. Client never knows what they want. Thats why you get it all down on paper, or else they keep changing the requirements as you go along

Commodore PET.

oh gawd, i remember that. my first computer book was "Programming the PET"... i think i still have it somewhere at my folks' house.

i dont think i was born then... our first pc was an Amstrad with like 640k or 1mb of ram

Second one was a 386 with 4mb.

no, i guess you weren't born yet.

:(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.