Been programming more than half my life and been in industry for over a decade.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

half your life / 10 years sitting at a terminal hardly qualifies anyone as a "renaissance man"...

the term Renaissance man, often applied to the gifted people of that age who sought to develop their abilities in all areas of accomplishment: intellectual, artistic, social, physical, and spiritual. (WikiPedia)

if you're that, am I a stone age man for having spent 25 years in software development professionally already?

25 years? A mere beginner.
<boasting mode>I joined IBM as a trainee programmer in July 1969 and wrote my latest line of code three days ago.Yes, that's more than 50 years coding</boasting mode>
(but I think Reverend Jim may be able to top that?)

commented: ah, so you're not stone aged but walking with dinosaurs :) +0

Hi jsrankin,

Welcome to DaniWeb! It’s always great to have people who are truly passionate about programming wiring their life to it, regardless of their age.

We have far too many beginner computer science class students popping up around here, who are just trying to get through a required college course or two, want quick help, and don’t really care about learning anything long term.

but I think Reverend Jim may be able to top that

Nope. You actually have seniority by a year and change. I started pounding out BASIC in my first year Engineering then switched to Computer Science in 1971 when I saw the error of my ways.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.