I am retired and I live in the village of Herbeys in the French Alps. I am a novice with linux and I have just dumped my Microsoft system hoping that Linux will be better.
I am married with 3 children who have all moved away now. I have no grandchildren yet so I am thing of starting a group called "Rent A Granddad".

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Welcome to Daniweb!

I ditched my windows system a long time ago so I can help you with any linux problems you enocunter :)

I am using the latest Ubunto that I downloaded from the ubuntu site. (Don't know yet how to find the version). I am using a Medion box with Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 and a Via High Definition embedded sound chip. I have 2 problems.
1. I have never had sound from the stereo jacks (front or back) but I can get sound and microphone (sometimes, see next problem) using a USB 2.0 headset.
2. The sound which worked last night seems to be on holiday today. I have tried installing / reinstalling assorted stuff using the Synaptic Package Manager and Easyubuntu but I am starting to believe that I am digging a hole for myself. I am stopping digging and asking for help on how to qualify this problem. Is there anything that I can use to identify the hardware that is installed, and can I relate that to the software and drivers that should be installed. - Thanks.

commented: Ubuntu Power! :) +10

Hi from the U.S. on the East coast.
I am sorry but I am not really familar with Linux.

I am using the latest Ubunto that I downloaded from the ubuntu site. (Don't know yet how to find the version). I am using a Medion box with Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 and a Via High Definition embedded sound chip. I have 2 problems.
1. I have never had sound from the stereo jacks (front or back) but I can get sound and microphone (sometimes, see next problem) using a USB 2.0 headset.
2. The sound which worked last night seems to be on holiday today. I have tried installing / reinstalling assorted stuff using the Synaptic Package Manager and Easyubuntu but I am starting to believe that I am digging a hole for myself. I am stopping digging and asking for help on how to qualify this problem. Is there anything that I can use to identify the hardware that is installed, and can I relate that to the software and drivers that should be installed. - Thanks.

Heck yea! I'm a Ubuntu user too :) Welcome!

Welcome!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.