Hello guys,

The problem : I can login to windows fine, but when I login there is no start menu, no desktop and also no system tray. I have googled this problem and find people with the same problem but no answers :sad: . I dont really want to reformat my computer as its a pain in the a** but if I have no choice then Il have too.

I can move around my Pc by runing the explorer.exe in task manager and get onto the internet. But this problem is now bugging me.

Any help would be great!

Thanks for your time

Dave

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hey Dave

Quick and easy(hopefully!!!)

using "ctrl + alt + del" as you have been doing select "new task"
Type "msconfig"
Select "normal startup" and apply.You will have to restart your pc.

This should work as I assume something has disabled the Explorer process from loading.

If not please post the last changes before you lost your desktop and try loading in safe mode.You should definitely have a desktop in there and if you don't I would suspect a virus or someone messing with you're registry

Try System Restore to restore the computer to a point where it was working. To get to System Restore, click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Do you recieve any error when you enter your desktop or just blank?

Try System Restore to restore the computer to a point where it was working. To get to System Restore, click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

please don't take this question the wrong way ,as im learning all the time and would like to know how to get the system restore when there is no start menu /desktop,so start button click on thaks ..

1.press "ctrl" + "alt" + "del"

2.click on "new task" in task manager

3.Navigate to C:/documents and settings/all users/start menu/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Have you tried running msconfig?

1.press "ctrl" + "alt" + "del"

2.click on "new task" in task manager

3.Navigate to C:/documents and settings/all users/start menu/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Have you tried running msconfig?

Thank you ,i feel so stupid !lol

Don't feel stupid,we're all here to learn.

Did it work for you?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.