CAN YOU READ THIS??

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too.
Cna yuo raed tihs?
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a
wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I
awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

More motivation for l33t speak. Sigh, what has the world come to. :-)

I've seen that several times before -- very interesting how we can read words whose letters are mixed up as long as the first and last letter are correct.

And as long as they are words familiar to the reader.

Hey, let me clarify. I don't mean that spellings aren't important. I'm just stating a point.

I don't think anyone took it wrongly. The item you posted has been around for years. It's interesting, and it points out how we can interpret information through the noise. There's another similar bit that leaves out all the vowels, yet is understandable.

We interpret what we see in terms of what we already know. If you had only a passing knowledge of another language, you probably could not understand jumbled text it that.

A third variation on this theme, that I've not seen in a long time, presents just the outlines of words in text. Surprisingly, you can read that pretty well. We tend to recognize common words as much by their overall shape as by the individual letters. That's part of why text in all upper case is harder to read.

Wow, sos that was horrible.
|33t? It's 1337 dude. Pipe (|) is an I. And if you didn't know all the 1337 letters to that word, why didn't you just type leet? 0|-| /\/\'/ 90|)
7|-|47 5|_|<|<5 73|-| |\||_|75 |=0|2
j00!

commented: @_o +0
commented: Boo is right! -2
commented: Useless garbage. -1

More motivation for l33t speak. Sigh, what has the world come to. :-)

|33t? It's 1337 dude. Pipe (|) is an I. And if you didn't know all the 1337 letters to that word, why didn't you just type leet? 0|-| /\/\'/ 90|)
j00!

Could anybody tell me what all is going on here?

I cant recall how mnay tmise i hvae snee this!

Simply amazing!

>I'm just stating a point.
Sorry, I missed the point. Can you explain it to me?

> Hey, let me clarify. I don't mean that spellings aren't important. I'm just stating a point.
You should start noticing smiley's in posts. They help in knowing the sentiment with which the post was made.

> Wow, sos that was horrible.
It was a bait to attract all "leet"ers. Congratulations on being the first one in this thread...

j00!

What the hell is all that crap :-O I'm sure glad I learned English

CAN YOU READ THIS??

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too.
Cna yuo raed tihs?
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a
wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I
awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Sure you can read it, but it slows you down and possible gives you a headache. You might get arrested by secret government police, who undoubtedly think you are using encrypted spy code.

actually, you don't have to slow down. You can actually breeze through it (as long as the words are familiar)

Tihs is a clpmaxeretnuoe to the aoitressn mdae avobe, yet it fwollos the rtnemeriuqes gvien in the avboe oanigirl psot. But nodboy can cltcerroy ierpentt its ctnetnos wuhotit a luoirobas eovaednr.

Sorry, I missed the point. Can you explain it to me?

It is the point that AD and vmanes stated. See posts 3 and 4.

You should start noticing smiley's in posts. They help in knowing the sentiment with which the post was made.

Right :)

What the hell is all that crap I'm sure glad I learned English

Same over here.

Sure you can read it, but it slows you down and possible gives you a headache. You might get arrested by secret government police, who undoubtedly think you are using encrypted spy code.

Haha, if everyone can read it, why not secret government police? ;)

Tihs is a clpmaxeretnuoe to the aoitressn mdae avobe, yet it fwollos the rtnemeriuqes gvien in the avboe oanigirl psot. But nodboy can cltcerroy ierpentt its ctnetnos wuhotit a luoirobas eovaednr.

:) That is one level harder. But, one can understand as long as the words are familiar.

j00!

hmmm.. Now i m cursing myself for using two 3's in my name. (naveen was already taken and i couldn't come up with any jazzy/weird name !) but bah ! i hate l337 talks !

Naveen, would you explain me what is l337 all about? There are many references to that in this thread, but all of it appears to be nothing but crap..

Well, leet/l33t/l337/... came from the word 'elite'. Replacing alphabets by 'look-alike' numbers and other characters was the key. For example, using 4 as A, 3 as E, 7 as T, 5 as S and so on. Hackers, crackers, etc used to use this term. But not anymore. That's because, reading something written by/in leet is not only irritating, but also, a pain in the err.. 455 (pun intended!)

So it both pains, and burns/stings/scratches you there? Hmm...

So it both pains, and burns/stings/scratches you there? Hmm...

No. It only pains. I thought even you felt the same after reading that. But I guess, I was wrong. Oh, btw, I only said it pains, I wonder how you felt burns/stings/scratches!

i thought that was what irritate meant!

Okay, I am getting it now..

i thought that was what irritate meant!

Oh :( I am sorry. My 'thought' of irritation is different from yours. It all depends on how you feel when you are irritated. Now I know how you feel when you are irritated.(scratch, burn, sting and whatever!) hmmm!

:) That is one level harder. But, one can understand as long as the words are familiar.

They are all familiar words. I just discovered a way to keep you form seeing the words. Here is the plain text:

"This is a counterexample to the assertion made above, yet it follows the requirements given in the above original post. But nobody can correctly interpret its contents without a laborious endeavor."

In other words, I proved the original assertion false with a counterexample.

The assertion works for short words, but not for long ones. Also, the original text in the assertion kept most syllables together. I didn't.

The assertion works for short words, but not for long ones. Also, the original text in the assertion kept most syllables together. I didn't.

Yes, that is the difference.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.