This is probably a basic question I have put another hard drive into my computer, is there a program that is available for me to only move certain files over too the new hdd, rather than clone the lot or copy and paste into the hdd
many thanks to anyone that replies
ozzie10101

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Depends on the mfg., some do some don't. Best to contact the host drive's site.

I do this with Windows Explorer.
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, since this is rather basic-open two explorer windows (One for the old drive, one for the new. Drag and drop.
More details if this doesn't help.

Are you happy that both drives are installed correctly with any clean new drives correctly formatted. Are both drives recognised by Windows (Do they both show up in My Computer).

Yes, Win Explorer can do the file xfer but there are too many glitchs that can occur that will cause the process to stall and when they do, it usually quits.

Yes, Win Explorer can do the file xfer but there are too many glitchs that can occur that will cause the process to stall and when they do, it usually quits.

I've never heard anyone say such a thing. Windows explorer is extremely reliable and the "glitches" you describe don't exist..
Windows explorer has been around a long time, and I wonder if you aren't mistaking it for something else.

I'm not going to turn this into a shouting match but the "glitches" DO pop up from time to time for one reason or another. They occur here from time to time and I've seen them elsewhere also.
As a XP pro user I'm fully aware that Windows Explorer DOES exist and has since the advent of W95.
Files with the "H" attribute don't give a prob. because WinExpl. makes no attempt to copy them. Files with the "R" attribute WILL give a prob. and WinExpl. will stall there. You'll have to start the process over again skipping that file type until you run into another.

All I can say is that this has never been a problem for me, and I've copied millions of files.
I can see problems trying to do too many transfers at once on a slow machine with limited memory, but Explorer has always been reliable.
Of course, it never gets "time remaining" right, and it's stupid about "Repeat my answer" sometimes, but it's dependable, and that's what counts.

WINDOWS > SYSTEM32 > CONFIG

If you can copy the contents thereof, while the OS is inflight, to ANYWHERE else, I'd appreciate it mighty kindly if you'd explain HOW you did it.

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to this thread. The OP wants to copy his data files, not his OS files.
You can't move file that's in use, and that hasn't been under discussion here. If you think that's a"glitch", it's not. It's by design.

:d See What I Mean??

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to this thread. The OP wants to copy his data files, not his OS files.
You can't move file that's in use, and that hasn't been under discussion here. If you think that's a"glitch", it's not. It's by design.

"by design". that was well understood from the beginning. "To Clone", which is my understanding of the intent, literally means "ALL FILES", not just some or most of them. And, as you yourself inferred, it won't happen because it can't, at least not from WinExpl. anyway.

This is probably a basic question I have put another hard drive into my computer, is there a program that is available for me to only move certain files over too the new hdd, rather than clone the lot or copy and paste into the hdd
many thanks to anyone that replies
ozzie10101

This requires additional drive space. Create a Folder to put the Folders/Files in that you want to xfer & copy it to where you want it to go.
OR
If you have a CD or better yet a DVD burner you can use that instead.

"by design". that was well understood from the beginning. "To Clone", which is my understanding of the intent, literally means "ALL FILES", not just some or most of them. And, as you yourself inferred, it won't happen because it can't, at least not from WinExpl. anyway.

There's a basic misunderstanding here.
Here's what he OP said:"...is there a program that is available for me to only move certain files over too the new hdd, rather than clone the lot or copy and paste into the hdd...?

Explorer is the program to use.

There's a basic misunderstanding here.
Here's what he OP said:"...is there a program that is available for me to only move certain files over too the new hdd, rather than clone the lot or copy and paste into the hdd...?

Explorer is the program to use.

I believe I got that part, but with such a simple routine, WHY is he having the prob. to begin with? If not copy/paste it's drag/drop!? Further, why does he want to spend his hard earned money on something that he already has, out of the box as it were? Special software, must be tons of it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.