Hello to Everyone

I'm a new member.

I found this web site while searching the web to learn more about HTML, making templates, border, bars and such.
I've gone through all the active emails.
I start a thread when I'm clearly signed in.
I try to post the thread and get a page telling me I don't have access.
I joined because I felt a really good vibe on this site.
I think maybe I'm in between new and newer.
I'm trying to post again.

My questions are at this time:
What planet has HTML instructions that are clear and easy to understand?

Is learning HTML all about codes and figuring out what they do by looking at examples?
Is there a site or book place to read and understand without feeling like your next to someone with an upside down map giving you directions to Mars?
Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Welcome to daniweb frozencove

HTML is very simple to learn it is only all these adds on technologies that make it look very complex, but there is nothing to stop you from learning about some of them too. I would recommend www.w3schools.com as one of the best place to start looking at. If you have any more questions in regards of HTML please make a new thread in WEB DEVELOPMENT >> JavaScript / DHTML / AJAX section

Thank you Peter
I bookmarked w3schools.com.

Yesterday at the basic HTML site I did increase what I know about HTML.
I used some of what I learned on a nested border. The results are attractive. That gave me more questions like:
If I change the code to create something else, then will that code change cause a glitch some place else on the project?
Do I always have to reverse the order of open tags when I close them?

User friendly is a concept ages old. I remember back in the early 1980s the big push for programmers to talke to users. Over 20 years later, I wonder what happened to user friendly.

I rattle on in the hope others here will voice their opinions. I've read enough here to feel intimidated. Yet, I feel if I read and think first, then I will learn something. In the long run, I will have a place to ask questions.

Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to Daniweb Frozencove :)

If I change the code to create something else, then will that code change cause a glitch some place else on the project?

Html just tell the web browser how to display the page and options are limited. So when you get the idea how it works, you should move on CSS (Cascading Style Sheets, also part of the website above) this will enhance your experience. After that it is up to you in which direction you want to move explore difference between HTML and XHTML, get your hands on scripting (JavaScript, VBScript) or learn other technologies as PHP, XML etc

Do I always have to reverse the order of open tags when I close them?

Yes, the rule is first opend last closed

The best solution for this i came up with is to try it and find out ttrial and error are the best ways to learn on your own. You should however try things on a closed system so it doesn't cause wide spread havoc in other areas.

Thank you all for the information and input. I do appreciate it.

About closed systems: I'm not sure what that means. I tried Wikipedia, and found the info there very lacking. Perhaps one of you could stop by the Closed System definition there and edit the page.
I did find a web site with several explanations that has been helpful.

When I practice HTML, I use one of the sites for that purpose like Practice Writer using only things I am absolutely sure of that aren't harmful.
You see, I learned years ago to be extremely careful with anything to do with numbers and sizes and codes after I attempted to download an image from NASA or the JPL for a class. I had an old NEC system. What a nightmare that was completely locking up my computer. It took almost 20 minutes for anything to move. I don't know how I managed to get in and delete the picture. Gorgeous nebula but scared me good. I thought my system was going to blow up. I didn't make the connection between size and memory.
Memory fades the truth but I still see that nebula coming through so large I could put on my wall as a mural from floor to ceiling and door to door.
Okay, I'll stop rattling on

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.