we are top of the food chain. we make the rules.

Unfortunately, Yes. Its us who make the rules and also break the rules.

There have been petitions, for poaching of tigers, hunting seals, skinning domestic animals and what not. But none of them has made a noticeable impact. And as AD said, it will not stop. Being said that, I would also like to say, you wouldn't know what pain is unless you feel it.

have been petitions, for poaching of tigers

yeah i know we studied that in college (i study conservation)

I saw one movie about slaughter houses when I was in elementary school. About half the kids would not eat meat afterwards.

I totally agree with majestic. If no one puts it out there, then no one knows. This sort of thing disgusts me to my very core. so if there is anyhting anyone can do, at least they can say they tried, or even they care. It seems to me that the responses to this thread are unwarranted and agumentative.
The man obviously cares enough to take the time and enlighten us so why not just sign the peitition. it takes two seconds and maybe this could be the petition that makes a difference.
This is from the mind of bleeding hearted animal lover.

I think most of us do care about the animals, its just that we don't care about online petetions.

I think most of us do care about the animals, its just that we don't care about online petetions.

++ this

Lets all agree to disagree....or we could all agree that I am right lol I prefer the latter!

Altruism at work eh JW? Sometimes people may do the right thing for the wrong reason, but does that make it the wrong thing to do or does it remain the right thing to do? Who knows!

no. It's not altruism at all.
It's a smoke screen by people to mask their real target, which is increasing their own power over others by limiting the freedom of the general population.

if you're as gullible as you appear to be, please send me all your money for the rest of your life and I'll make sure it's well spent for the benefit of poorly treated natives.

I have some shares in the Golden Gate Bridge that I'll sell him too. :)

no. It's not altruism at all.
It's a smoke screen by people to mask their real target, which is increasing their own power over others by limiting the freedom of the general population.

if you're as gullible as you appear to be, please send me all your money for the rest of your life and I'll make sure it's well spent for the benefit of poorly treated natives.

I was being sarcastic with the altrusim comment my friend! I think sometimes you do not get me JW. And as far as me giving you all my money forever, sure thing! Send us over your bank details in PM !

Way too many people will sign anything as long as it's portrayed as being "for charity" or some other feelgood "ideal".
That includes a great many otherwise logical, intelligent, people.

>The man obviously cares enough to take the time
>and enlighten us so why not just sign the peitition.
Because we might not agree with the petition, or see a petition as anything but a futile attempt to make people feel better about something they can't change. This is China we're talking about. China blocks huge portions of the internet because it doesn't fit into their vision. What makes you think an online petition is going to even get to the people who would be able to make a change, much less cause them to give a damn?

Also, personal feelings about the animals aside, I have a hard time taking the blathering of a "charity" organization as the complete truth. From what I've seen, charities are more inclined to lie through their teeth to scare or shock people into doing what they want.

Then of course there's the whole cultural aspect. Just because you find something barbaric doesn't mean the culture that it exists in does as well. Somehow I doubt you would stop eating beef and fight for bovine rights if a bunch of Hindu signed a petition demanding that you stop slaughtering the sacred cow.

All I will say is I hope that someday we don't get skinned alive by a higher species for fun/fashion/sadism/money/whatever. And I believe that is the general consensus here, which is, after all, a reason why the petition is useful - after all would we be talking about this topic if the petition didn't grab us ? I think not...

the "petition" doesn't "grab me", the foolishness of people believing in such things does.
And their insistence I join them in their foolishness, their attempts to make me feel guilty for knowing better and not giving my money (and other resources) to "charities" that I know are completely pointless, either wasting those resources on things that make no difference or squandering it on luxury vacations for their own staff (of course masked as "fact finding trips", "conferences", etc. in places like Cancun, Rio de Janeiro, Bali).

theres nothing wost then wasted fund money for personal gain but it took much longer to type this then to sign the patition.

>but it took much longer to type this then to sign the patition.
Then google "petition" and sign to your heart's content.

If It was some petition for some cause by somebody, I couldnt care less, well I shouldnt say that because caring for a cause and acting in futility are two different things, but I have come to enjoy this site and agree with certain peoples actions and reactions.

since one of these people is the dude and if he as an acting member of this "community" wants me to take a minute i will.

If you ignore something because of the majority then the few cannot succeed.

Do you really have to be so frigid?

Oh! Dare he care about the wellfare of animals and what we do to them to make us happy? He must be foolish and beneath me! I must show him what true intelligence is by being the most frigid thing (not for lack of a better word, I just don't want to use it) he's ever encountered!

And while I'm at it I'll show the world what a cynic I am too! Because cynicism is cool...

It might not do any good trying to sign this,but its worth it i think to try!

>since one of these people is the dude and if he as an acting
>member of this "community" wants me to take a minute i will.
To be perfectly frank, I don't see The Dude as the brightest bulb in the building. If I took a minute every time he asked, I would spend most of my days looking at inane websites. I offered three reasons why this petition will fail, and unless you have a counter-argument that amounts to more than "We won't know if we don't try", I'm not going to bother, and I'm going to treat you like a gullible fool.

>Do you really have to be so frigid?
I'm not frigid, I'm practical. Petitions, while sometimes useful, more often than not strike me as akin in principle to phishing scams. Prove me wrong.

she has a point

To be perfectly frank, I don't see The Dude as the brightest bulb in the building.

Forgive me for caring and wanting to try to stop this!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE HOW MANY MEAN EVIL PEOPLE THERE HAVE BEEN IN ALL MY THREADS (THIS THREAD) ON DIFFERENT SITES......

THE INTERNET REALLY SHOWS THE SCUM OF THIS WORLD..........

Please delete this thread,i dont wanna be made a fool anymore......

I guess some should learn that if they have nothing nice to say, maybe it is better to say nothing at all.

Forgive me for caring and wanting to try to stop this!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE HOW MANY MEAN EVIL PEOPLE THERE HAVE BEEN IN ALL MY THREADS (THIS THREAD) ON DIFFERENT SITES......

THE INTERNET REALLY SHOWS THE SCUM OF THIS WORLD..........

Please delete this thread,i dont wanna be made a fool anymore......

:icon_rolleyes:

p.s. We don't delete threads on request, especially if there are any replies.

I was just thinkin, maybe the chainsaw is for skinning animals?

:icon_evil:

dude, sorry to break this to you, but the chinese dont really give a shit what people say, espeically on the internet.

Agreed. However I signed it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.