Two security researchers have demonstrated a new technique to stealthily intercept internet traffic on a scale previously presumed to be unavailable to anyone outside of intelligence agencies like the National Security Agency.

The tactic exploits the internet routing protocol BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) to let an attacker surreptitiously monitor unencrypted internet traffic anywhere in the world, and even modify it before it reaches its destination. [more]

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/08/revealed-the-in.html

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Great read, thanks for that one.

Man, its amazing how naive the early internet developer were to base BGP on a trust protocol. ha, if only they knew.

Great read, thanks for that one.

Man, its amazing how naive the early internet developer were to base BGP on a trust protocol. ha, if only they knew.

IT IS .... MOSTLY

Now they've put it online how do they assume to stop it if someone tries out this hole somehow. Doesn't look easy to stop a corporate out to get it?

Who knows how long this has been going on!!

I have some friends who are being stalked by people and this may be the way its being done!!

ALL SITES SHOULD HAVE SSL ENABLED!!

That would stop alot of thier sniffing of the packets!!

what are the security concerns of the internet ?

Alot of concerns!!!

Welcome to the site :)

Is it true that every e-mail that is sent goes through NSA checking?

In the last year I've 'shared' my email account with a hacker, who very kindly had a brief online chat with my brother and told him I should change my password. I've 'shared' my credit card with someone in America. I'm still worried.
My father who is in his eighties has had his identity stolen and more recently, his bank account emptied after a Trojan was installed on his PC.
Can't these hackers work for a living instead of preying on ordinary folk who don't have much in the first place?

It's great news!

Yes it certainly is no surprise..........

This has been going on along time and just now its been publicly exposed.....

Who knows how long it will be BEFORE THEY FIX IT!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.