If the interest is there, people will find the time. Even working 12 hours a day, every day of the week, and taking a full 8 hours for sleep, that still only adds up to 140 hours. What are your Turkish people doing for the other 28 hours? How much do you want to bet that it's entertainment?

True, it's easy to fit in a bit of extra time. For example, when learning Kanji it's easiest to keep coming back to them and familiarising yourself with them at regular intervals. Even if it's during a short break while watching tv, or before you go to bed, it's definitely possible.

serkan sendur> you live in USA-welfare country.
It used to be called The Land of Opportunity.
Now, it is more like the camel in the desert, that must survive out of whatever is in the hump. Hoping that water is found before it dries out.

serkan sendur> -i have been living in USA for the last 7 months. so i have different perspective to see things over here.
Don't worry, you'll be assimilated soon enough.

@serkan : The reason you cannot argue with Narue over this, or more appropriately, should not, is that even if people are working for 10-12 hours, can't they learn on the job itself ? Thats what Narue wants to mention when she says that to not learn anything from the job, they should be doing a job where they are absolutely not allowed to "think".

When I started my internship, in the organization that I currently work in three years back, I used to stay back in my office as long as I could sometimes staying over in the office too, because fresh, not to mention naive, as I was just out of college, I was eager to soak in as much as I could and as fast as I could. That was the time when I learnt a lot of new things whether in programming, or just being social whatever, I never felt the need to go learn something apart from just doing my job, I learned so much during that time. Contrary to this many of my friends got home early working for as few as 7 hours and I am ready to bet that they did what Narue is ready to bet her money on. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.