GuyClapperton 12 Staff Writer

This is excellent. A map of Britain in which the forthcoming extra-fast Internet is highlighted. It's here on the Guardian website.

A number of things become clear from this. First, unsurprisingly, there's a lot of concentration around London and Manchester, with Edinburgh getting a respectable look-in. This is pretty inevitable I suppose; major conurbations are going to get the major advances sooner than anyone else.

Except...

Does it really make sense that the places with the best communications already will get the best advances the most quickly? If I were living in a small village or something I don't suppose I'd mind a bit of really fast broadband - it might make the days of compulsory remote working a little easier. Meanwhile I'm likely to get it in London instead, when actually it's not all that necessary - 3G coverage is good if the broadband connection falls apart, and even at my age I can walk to an Internet cafe if I had a problem with my connection at home.

But no - as always my area has to have the best of the best. It's a numbers game of course - if they can sell London a couple of million connections that's a lot more cash than selling to a village with 200 people. One day - just one day - a business is going to try this some other way.