I know I'll sound stupid asking this but i don't know any face2face computer geeks besides myself. Anyways i was wondering, just what DOES the scroll lock button do? Also, what is the tilde(~) used for in the English Language? Or is it for Programming or something?

Ok Thanx For Answering in advance!
The Unreal Wolf

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

hmm thx for posting info on that i ain got time to read them but im surprised that there was enough inof that u had to pick thru them lol :mrgreen:

interestingly in-depth especially the tilde page. i guess it doesnt have a use in the english language as a character but ibm created it hmmm...
i like the scroll lock one to and i can make myself look like i know something about excel now by mentioning that part about keeping the cursor box in the same place :cheesy:

ok here's another "I'll probably sound stupid" question: what the heck is a blog? most sites start going into really complicated information when i look them up :(

Actually, the only language usage of the tilde in English is in dictionaries, where it is called a 'swung dash'.

Where the various suffixed variations of a word are being listed, they are preceded by a tilde which is being used to represent the root word.

There are also many uses of the tilde in various branches of mathematics and science.

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Tilde

Basically, "blog" is short for web-log, an online journal.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.