It seems like some people are not out of the woods yet -- here are some critical dates (from twitter)

# 2010-01-01 Fri - Y2.01K. There will be some who have coded only for Years 200#
# 2010-01-01 Fri - Sorting YYMMDD decade-reversed covers 1990-2009 only
# 2010-01-01 Fri - Reported ANSI C library overflow. Very dubious. RSVP if you can explain it

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Is this thread about the Unix timestamp 2038 bug when 32-bit integers run out of numbers. If they used the php bcmath library for the timestamp then they could have infinite numbers. Imagine the possibilities if they made a type of integer which could hold infinite numbers. That would be cool and might be what they will have to do by the end of the millennium.

>>Is this thread about the Unix timestamp 2038 bug when 32-bit integers run out of numbers.

Not exactly -- that problem is common in MS-Windows too. Microsoft compilers have fixed it by using a 64-bit integer for time_t (time64_t)

Programs that contain the first two problems in my original post should have been fixed long ago in 1999 or earlier. Nobody should be using two digit years any more, except for some very rare purposes, such as extracting the Fiscal Year for US government agencies.

Hmm, Y2.01K problems! :)

Is this thread about the Unix timestamp 2038 bug when 32-bit integers run out of numbers. If they used the php bcmath library for the timestamp then they could have infinite numbers. Imagine the possibilities if they made a type of integer which could hold infinite numbers. That would be cool and might be what they will have to do by the end of the millennium.

Wonder how large "they could have infinite numbers" is?

The year is 9999 and people are running round trying to get you thawed out so you can fix some Y10K bug ;)

"We see in your file you were a COBOL programmer."

"We see in your file you were a COBOL programmer."

Isn't that what is in your file when you get sent to hell?

I worked with a woman who wrote her travel diary into her COBOL programs.

When
arrived_paris(day)
      do
         go_sub see_sites
         day = day + 1
       until day = come_home

It has been 30 years so I forgot all of my COBOL but I do remember that the variable name limit was about 70 characters; punch card limit of 80 characters - 10 characters for line count or something. Her programs were really fun and funny to read but anyone who did not know her personally could ever figure out what the programs did.

Wonder how large "they could have infinite numbers" is?

Well the size of the number is only limited to your cpu with the bcmath library. So for example the average cpu could multiply two numbers totaling to 1,000,000,000 digits. That is a lot better than 32/64 bit numbers. I am also working on my own c++ math library for infinite sized numbers such as pi.

Yeah, didnt a load of web servers crash a while ago because they had the connection timeout set to default to 1 billion seconds when the user chose "no timeout", which a few years ago, reprsented a date past 2036 (which the computer interpreted as being in the past, as the date was 32 bit), causing it to close all connections?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.