3. Can't get my mp3, wma etc to work.
4. How the hell do I install programs.

Please help a linux newbie. :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 37 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Anyone?

Also do i need to install linux drivers for my Gforce graphics card. Plz help.

Haven't used Ubuntu in a while, but you install stuff either via synaptic (GUI) or apt-get (CLI). As for .mp3 support, it doesn't have it out of the box (main reason I dumped it the second time was the stuff it doesn't have by default). For nvidia drivers, there might be some in one of the repositories (you'll have to check with synaptic or apt), otherwise you might have to get them from nvidia's site. You'll probably get more specific help from ubuntuforums.org though.

to install programs use the synaptic package managaer or open up a console and do:

apt-get update

then either apt-get upgrade OR apt-get install (packagename)

To get nvidia drivers, dvd and mp3 support download automatix(dvd support is illegal in the USA)

This is way too complicated.

At least the internet works, to my surprise.

My speakers don't even work, yet when I put in the mandrake move boot from cd Os it detected it fine?

Is Ubuntu the best linux distro for a newbie?

I installed that automatix.

For a moment the sound worked when I did a reboot. Now it doesn't.

I'm not impressed. And now I get an error every time I run automatix.

what soundcard is it?

if its a dell PC you need a BIOS update

Fairly simple for most of your problems; you're just missing a lot of drivers that need to be installed and downloaded.

For your graphics card, head over to Nvidia and download the Linux drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Get the model of your sound card, and google it and "linux driver". You'll likely get instructions on how to set it up on Linux.

As far as I know, WMA can't natively be played on Linux due to propretiary Microsoft codecs. If you want, you can install Wine and use it to run Windows Media Player. For MP3s, you should have a default player instalelled, although you may want to find a better one.

And as for installing programs, you can either use apt-get if the program is in the Debian respiratory (most programs) or if not, you can usually download a .deb file and use dpckg: dpkg -i something.deb Hope this helps

As far as I know, WMA can't natively be played on Linux due to propretiary Microsoft codecs. If you want, you can install Wine and use it to run Windows Media Player. For MP3s, you should have a default player instalelled, although you may want to find a better one.

I think WMA format is fine (given the right codecs) but DRM'ed files won't work. All my files are .mp3 though, so I can't say for sure...

commented: ty +6

I think WMA format is fine (given the right codecs) but DRM'ed files won't work.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Yeah, you can play unprotected WMAs in something like VLC or Mplayer.

I just put open suse 10.2 on my system in the hope that it would detect more devices.

It appears not. Still no sound is coming from my speakers and every time I put a cd into either my dvd rom or cd drive it crashes.

Looks like I'm gonna have to hunt for some linux drivers eh?

Having said that I'm way impressed with the desktop!

Can you find the model and make of your soundcard? That's usually the key to finding Linux drivers for it. Perhaps post it here for more information.

stay away from suse. its updater is broken

stay away from suse. its updater is broken

The updater works just fine.

When I put my cd in I get this message

System configuration startup check disabled.

(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -1236957488 (LWP 5874)]
[KCrash handler]
#9  0xb7bb3b6f in cdda_open () from /usr/lib/libcdda_interface.so.0
#10 0x080da1b1 in KiloConfig::staticMetaObject ()
#11 0x080ce2ac in MLabel::staticMetaObject ()
#12 0x080751c5 in KUniqueApplication::metaObject ()
#13 0x080791a0 in KUniqueApplication::metaObject ()
#14 0x0807cceb in KUniqueApplication::metaObject ()
#15 0x08072549 in QWidget::setUpdatesEnabled ()
#16 0x0818e090 in ?? ()
#17 0x081df71e in ?? ()
#18 0xbfe02628 in ?? ()
#19 0xb70e6d23 in QCString::~QCString () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#20 0xb74416ed in KUniqueApplication::processDelayed ()
   from /opt/kde3/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#21 0xb747b5c8 in KUniqueApplication::qt_invoke ()
   from /opt/kde3/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#22 0xb6e423cd in QObject::activate_signal ()
   from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#23 0xb717c0ce in QSignal::signal () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#24 0xb6e5e497 in QSignal::activate () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#25 0xb6e65823 in QSingleShotTimer::event ()
#26 0xb6de3647 in QApplication::internalNotify ()
#27 0xb6de44f9 in QApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#28 0xb74a01f2 in KApplication::notify () from /opt/kde3/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#29 0xb6dd8663 in QEventLoop::activateTimers ()
#30 0xb6d92bd0 in QEventLoop::processEvents ()
#31 0xb6dfa0e0 in QEventLoop::enterLoop () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#32 0xb6df9f76 in QEventLoop::exec () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#33 0xb6de300f in QApplication::exec () from /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#34 0x08072865 in QWidget::setUpdatesEnabled ()
#35 0xbfe02c20 in ?? ()
#36 0x00000001 in ?? ()
#37 0x00000001 in ?? ()
#38 0x00000000 in ?? ()

btw I'm using open suse 10.2 now. I'll open up my pc and get the names for my cd drive, dvd drive, sound card and nvidia card.

I think that is all I should need.

I really hope I can get my dvds working.

do a google search for "hacking opensuse" - it has detials of how to get supprt for various non-free media formats in suse

Thanx mate. I'm gonna try and search for the drivers today.

I think I really need a book to follow, specifically for one for open suse 10.2. I saw a nice book in the shop - I might buy it.

There's also tons of documentation on the web. I've found solutions to nearly all my Linux-related problems with Google.

What initally helped me into the world of Linux was one of those crappy "Teach yourself Red Hat Linux in x days" from my local library, and although brief, it did help me to understand Linux shell commands, the Gnome and KDE desktops, etc..

My recommendation when learning Linux: figure out your tasks and priorities. When you're still in the setup stage, determine what's the most important thing to fix (there's always tons of glitches after an installation). For example, I might decide that getting my sound card working is more important than getting a proper video card driver. So then I work at that, and once I'm done, I continue with the next item.

This continues as you learn more about Linux. Maybe one day you want to learn how to use OpenOffice, and another you want to learn the shell. Set goals for yourself, and then you won't be confined to a simple little GUI.

Joe - a little bit of progress.

I switched to root user, at least here it plays my cds, but still no sound.

I have since opened by box took out the optical drives, sound card and graphics card and noted down the model numbers.

Then I checked the driver details from the menu in suse and they are the same! So it has detected them all right it would seem.

:cry: Help!

open a command propmt and type alsaconf. let it search for soundcards

Joe - a little bit of progress.

I switched to root user, at least here it plays my cds, but still no sound.

Alright, then it's a mounting problem. Could you post the contents of /etc/fstab? Thanks.

I have since opened by box took out the optical drives, sound card and graphics card and noted down the model numbers.

Good for you. :)

Then I checked the driver details from the menu in suse and they are the same! So it has detected them all right it would seem.

:cry: Help!

That's alright. Sometimes a Linux system detects the hardware name but doesn't have the drivers to operate it properly. Could you post the models here so we at least have an idea what you're dealing with?

open suse has crashed on me and I can't even start the OS at startup - recovery option doesn't help.

But anyway...

cd writer:
philips model number: PCRW1610

dvd:
RELISYS TECO AC42214808107

graphics card:
64MB geforce II mx200

sound card:
soundblaster live 5.1 model number: SB0100

That's too bad about SuSE crashing on you... what happened when it crashed and what error messages does it give you when you try to start up?

The odd thing about all your hardware is that it's all very standard... I read a report from the SuSE database saying that the SB0100 was only listed as partial support for SuSE, which may explain some of the problems you were having...

Try using ALSA like jbennet said; it's supposed to supported. (That is, once you get your Linux system working again.)

if its the bootloader thats not working, boot from the cd and then select boot from HD rather than install

Thanx for that advice jbennet, but it doesn't matter now.

What I did was reformat my machine with winxp, created a partition, and put open suse on one of them.

It seems to work ok now.

More progress joe. I tried my sound with windows xp and nothing there either. I know it's not my speakers cos i tried that with my laptop and it worked ok.

that's telling me my sound card is screwed. So I'm thinking i gotta get a new one.

One problem down.

Next in priority is my dvd player. I'm thinking i need codecs from the net is it oggle i need?

Thanx for all the help btw.

BIOS update maybe. On my dell desktop and ibm laptop i needed one in order to get sound in either Vista or Linux

Next in priority is my dvd player. I'm thinking i need codecs from the net is it oggle i need?

I use VLC for pretty much all my video needs, and it seems to handle everything fine. Comes with almost all the codecs you'll ever need...

after some diggng i discovered that you probabbly will nver be ale to play DVDS in SuSE as novell delibaratey crippled it so they wouldnt get into issues over patents

some minor revelations.

I opened the back of my box and guess what? The little sound card cable wasn't even connected to the motherboard! I must of jacked it out by accident. Sweet jebus!

Now I don't know where to plug it back in. So I'm still unsure what's causing the sound problems. Me or suse.

It might still be suse, because I also did some research and it appears open suse 10.2 has got some real problems with sound blaster cards.

http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofiversion/index.php/t47537.html

:eek:

In regards to jbennet's comment about not being able to play dvds... Well I was reading this:
http://www.suseblog.com/?p=171

So a bit of tinkering and hopefully I should be able to play dvds. Apparently it is illegal for any linux user to play dvds, legislation with the codecs and what not. suse 10.2 makes tries to enforce this it would seem.

Also after typing this at the shell prompt:

su root
hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd

I am able to put dvds in my dvd drive without it crashing.

The saga continues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.