hi at the moment i m learning C#,but i have lots of questions... i hope to go to UK ,is java beter than C#? and Do i need to learn C++ to get a good job, i have no idea, can any one give me a path i want to learn . i hope to go to UK, so can anyone give me any idea what should i learn, what are the exams i should take,give me a path, plzz

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The language is almost irrelevant: Some jobs need one, some another (and then only to get your first position in the firm). What matters is professionalism, background, personality, and things that schools mostly don't teach...and the ability to do "the job" in one or more languages, which you do need to learn at school (some school). You will do yourself a favor if you learn more than one. If you have C#, then learn something completely different: Lisp, Fortran, Python, Icon... That gives you a much better understanding of what programming means. Java is too similar to C# to be helpful that way.

Internship is the absolutely best road forward. Move heaven and earth to get an intern position: It makes your resume real, it shows you some of what actual people actually do for a living, and it is an extended interview.

I would avoid the 'certification' schools: First know the language and how to use it, then get the job and then get certified, if your employer wants it, by having your employer help pay for it.

Look here: http://langpop.com/ for language popularity comparisons. Read the whole thing: The top chart is not the most useful one. Bear in mind that it doesn't matter to the employer what is popular: His (or her) needs are the only important ones. I know a woman who got a really great job programming in COBOL after being trained at university in C and Pascal.

I'm from USA, not UK, so my opinions are informed from a slightly different perspective.

The language is almost irrelevant: Some jobs need one, some another (and then only to get your first position in the firm). What matters is professionalism, background, personality, and things that schools mostly don't teach...and the ability to do "the job" in one or more languages, which you do need to learn at school (some school). You will do yourself a favor if you learn more than one. If you have C#, then learn something completely different: Lisp, Fortran, Python, Icon... That gives you a much better understanding of what programming means. Java is too similar to C# to be helpful that way.

Internship is the absolutely best road forward. Move heaven and earth to get an intern position: It makes your resume real, it shows you some of what actual people actually do for a living, and it is an extended interview.

I would avoid the 'certification' schools: First know the language and how to use it, then get the job and then get certified, if your employer wants it, by having your employer help pay for it.

Look here: http://langpop.com/ for language popularity comparisons. Read the whole thing: The top chart is not the most useful one. Bear in mind that it doesn't matter to the employer what is popular: His (or her) needs are the only important ones. I know a woman who got a really great job programming in COBOL after being trained at university in C and Pascal.

I'm from USA, not UK, so my opinions are informed from a slightly different perspective.

Thanks a lotgriswolf,i will remember it

If you are learning C# then its good.In this time C# is mostly used language.If you want to switch Java then you need to do Java certification course otherwise it will not helpful for you.

Learn as many languages as you can, not because you are worried you might have to know one or the other for some job, but because it will make you a better thinker and problem-solver.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.