Most of my life I considered computers to be video game machines. A friend introduced me to other possibilities a couple of years ago, and I have been operating a couple of levels above my skill and knowledge ever since.
I Have found a ton of useful info on this site, although most of it is still over my head.
I have 2 projects in mind and could use some direction. I have been doing online html tuts. I'm not an expert, but I can make most of what I want happen.
The first is a web page for a friends business. I can muddle through this one myself, but if someone can point me towards a high school textbook style tutorial, It may save me a lot of frustration.
The second is a home server. I want for several people to be able to up files to the server, and share those files only with the people they choose.
For this second project, I am trying to learn mysql, dbase, NT server ...
Where is a sensible place to start?
I would not mind taking some courses, but at 45 years old I am not into going to school for 3 or 4 years.
I hope to open a dialog in this thread that will help me focus. I really don't know where to start.
Even if I get no response, this site has been(and will be) a great reference for me.

Hi Chris,
For the first project that involves html I would suggest you
http://www.w3schools.com/html/DEFAULT.asp which is the HTML Tutorial of w3schools and also http://www.w3schools.com/. W3Schools is a very well known tutorial collection that would cater to your knowledge requirements for HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XHTML etc.
For the second project I suggest you first decide what server side scripting langauge you want to use as your "front-end" for the web pages. This can be either PHP, JSP, ASP, ASP.NET etc., once you have decided on this starting to gather information on the decided langauge, it's usage, examples from the langauge and best practices for the same would be the next step.
While gathering knowledge on server side langauges you can also compare the features, benefits, disadvantages of a couple of them which would help you choose the langauge/platform that is best suited for your domain.
All the best.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.