For the record, mine is 3 days without sleep. just eat and code.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Simply churn out code, or code effectively? I can go four hours or so before a break is needed to maintain quality, but if the code can suck ass an all day caffeine fueled code orgy isn't improbable. I refuse to not get my eight hours of sleep though, so multiple days are out of the question.

commented: "if the code can suck ass an all day caffeine fueled code orgy isn't improbable" I think this should be the first line of your (first?) novel +0

I sometimes lose track of time when I'm coding but I haven't deliberately tried to spend ages working on it or timed myself.

I go to sleep at midnight and wake up at 9 in the morning. NO MATTER WHAT. Instead of sleepless nights and a hectic schedule, I have a good program that keeps me fresh and rested. It's been 2 months since I've changed the way I work and it's for the best.

so, the most I work is 15 hours.

I used to be able to code for 2 days straight, back when DaniWeb was first starting out and I was adding all the features. I also pulled an all nighter or two when we upgraded DaniWeb to this style back earlier this year, but that was the first time in years.

Long story short ... I used to do all nighters a *lot* when I was working from home. Days and nights just always mushed together. As soon as I got an office, I got into a really good schedule of working in the office only. It's really been AMAZING for my health ... and my social life! :)

With minor breaks I have done up to 18 hours of coding in a day's time. After that, things get even more goofy than normal.

Simply churn out code, or code effectively? I can go four hours or so before a break is needed to maintain quality, but if the code can suck ass an all day caffeine fueled code orgy isn't improbable. I refuse to not get my eight hours of sleep though, so multiple days are out of the question.

well I think its better to sleep. :D

I sometimes lose track of time when I'm coding but I haven't deliberately tried to spend ages working on it or timed myself.

I know what you're saying, I also lose track of time too, when I thought its 12PM but its already 4pm

I used to be able to code for 2 days straight, back when DaniWeb was first starting out and I was adding all the features. I also pulled an all nighter or two when we upgraded DaniWeb to this style back earlier this year, but that was the first time in years.

Long story short ... I used to do all nighters a *lot* when I was working from home. Days and nights just always mushed together. As soon as I got an office, I got into a really good schedule of working in the office only. It's really been AMAZING for my health ... and my social life! :)

Ahhh... that's the advantage of having a real office than working home. you have this "break" and you have time for other things like having a "Life". Wait, what office? does daniweb have its own office? im just asking...

does Daniweb has its own article on Wikipedia? i think you should put the brief history of Daniweb of how it started and the challenges :D

Same here, use to code until I drop when I was working from home. Since we set up offices, I have a set schedule and I tend to stick to it no matter what. I think it all boils down to time management.:)

Same here, use to code until I drop when I was working from home. Since we set up offices, I have a set schedule and I tend to stick to it no matter what. I think it all boils down to time management.:)

I really love to work in offices. it gives me the concentration and the motivation to work. since bed is just a couple of inches away, its easier to sleep, watch tv or do something else. that's what I'm struggle-ling now...

Member Avatar for diafol

Since I have a day job that does not involve IT, this has never been a problem. I have however, fallen asleep at the laptop on numerous occasions, woken up and had to de-spaghetti-fy my code. The better half told me to go to the back room if I insist on sleeping with the technology.

So coding + no sleep = bloodshot eyes, sore wrists, bags of frustration. Hmmm, sounds like the days before I had a PC to keep me company... :P

No more than 30 mins without a break. If the entire premise is clear in my mind, it doesn't take a lot of time to churn out sizable amount of code. Plus given my short attention span, 30 minutes is a good enough time to keep me motivated.

Oh, but yes, I can watch anime for 4 hours straight. ;-)

I pulled some all-nighters but man 3 straight days is crazy. My max is a day and a half. I agree with getting good sleep though, without it I start making some really stupid errors.

I pulled some all-nighters but man 3 straight days is crazy. My max is a day and a half. I agree with getting good sleep though, without it I start making some really stupid errors.

Yeah, I always have that stupid errors when I'm too sleepy or didn't had enough sleep.

The key is the quality of the code, in my case I have seen that the quality drops in less then around 5 hours sleep a day. Of course this can’t be done for ages … and some time I have to sleep for around 8 hours a day…

2 days for me when i was at uni this happend quite often but looking at the code after is horrible.

i did a code a xbox360 game in 48 hours in a team of 4(3 coders 1 designer). we won the competition and recieved such good credit we wanted to carry on coding the game for release on indie, but the code was so awful and hacked slashed just so it worked.

so quality code for me is in 1hr with out breaks or i can code for 2 days before fatigue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.