in a database for a company,what technology is best for enabling for examples certain staff memebers to make bookings/access the database from any location using a **Browser**? how do i implement this and how can i make it work? please HELP!

p.s
i have been researching and thinking creating a php script but am confused as i was told i need to use javascript for the Browser bit.

someone please lets have a chat so i can get a hang of this thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

There are many languages that could be used to do this. PHP is a good choice because it is widely used, it is supported on most servers, it is free (as is the MySQL database) and there are lots of resources available.

Even though PHP is relatively easy to learn, it isn't something that you learn overnight and then produce commercial quality scripts. Besides the PHP syntax, you need programming and debugging skill / knowledge / experience, you will need to be quite familiar with HTML and you will probably need to know some CSS. If you want your scripts to have a snappy web2 user interface, then you will need to get into Javascript or a Javascript library like JQuery. You will need to set up a development environment, you will need some knowledge of the server that you'll be running this on (probably running under Linux) and you will need to use an FTP program to move things back and forth.

If this is something that you want to implement relatively soon, then the best way would be to pay someone to do it who already has the required skills and experience. If you have lots of time to complete this and you really want to learn some or all of this stuff (not just for one project) then start reading tutorials (e.g. from W3Schools), download and install a development environment and go for it.

commented: Nicely outlaid answer. +0

Hi Chrishea thanks for taking your time to read and answer my post,your analysis is very correct,am not doing this as a project or for profit so its not worth paying someone to do it,am compiling a descriptive journal and i just thought if i tried out the codes and did the screen shots it will make it look more credible.Am going for PhP and will try and integrate java(jdbc) as well.

thanks for making sense

There are many languages that could be used to do this. PHP is a good choice because it is widely used, it is supported on most servers, it is free (as is the MySQL database) and there are lots of resources available.

Even though PHP is relatively easy to learn, it isn't something that you learn overnight and then produce commercial quality scripts. Besides the PHP syntax, you need programming and debugging skill / knowledge / experience, you will need to be quite familiar with HTML and you will probably need to know some CSS. If you want your scripts to have a snappy web2 user interface, then you will need to get into Javascript or a Javascript library like JQuery. You will need to set up a development environment, you will need some knowledge of the server that you'll be running this on (probably running under Linux) and you will need to use an FTP program to move things back and forth.

If this is something that you want to implement relatively soon, then the best way would be to pay someone to do it who already has the required skills and experience. If you have lots of time to complete this and you really want to learn some or all of this stuff (not just for one project) then start reading tutorials (e.g. from W3Schools), download and install a development environment and go for it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.