I heard if i dont have 3 yrs experience in java i wont be able to get a job easily.
Does DotNet have more market value than Java ???
What I've heard is that java is in more demand and also it is less frustrating than DotNet.
Please clear me in this coz m currently in 4th year in IT and i want to have a clear vision of this topic(Java or DotNet).

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I heard if i dont have 3 yrs experience in java i wont be able to get a job easily.

Given the job market in many places, you may find it hard to get a job regardless of experience. But what you heard is wrong, not all jobs require the same amount of experience, and junior positions (while they may request experience) often don't require much more than you would get from a decent programming class. The big factor in getting a job is convincing someone that you can provide value in a reasonable amount of time despite lack of experience.

What I've heard is that java is in more demand

Debatable. It really depends on the employer and what they do.

also it is less frustrating than DotNet

Subjective and completely silly.

i want to have a clear vision of this topic(Java or DotNet)

Here's a crazy idea: learn both while you have the time to do so.

I also heard from my seniors that DOT NET has no scope in future,and JAVA being an open source nw...is far better as compared.
it has put me in confusion plz help..

commented: troll +0

My recommendation is don't listen to those people.

I don't even know how to make a 'Hello World' app in java, and I make more money with a 2 year technologist diploma writing in C#, VB.Net and VB6 than a Mechanical Engineer with 7 years experience and a nearly complete masters degree that also works for my company. Not meaning to toot my own horn, just saying from my experience knowing .Net is a sought after skill (for now).

commented: troll +0

do us professional all a favour, and leave IT. More jobs for us :)

The job market is so shoddy right now, switching careers to something else is not to be done lightly.
When you do it you're always going to start at the bottom of the pile, and in the current market you're also going to be competing with a lot of experienced people willing to work for peanuts because they're desperate for any job at all.

commented: Nope. Not a troll. +0

do us professional all a favour, and leave IT. More jobs for us :)

The job market is so shoddy right now, switching careers to something else is not to be done lightly.
When you do it you're always going to start at the bottom of the pile, and in the current market you're also going to be competing with a lot of experienced people willing to work for peanuts because they're desperate for any job at all.

I think I contributed more to this post than you did, yet you flagged me as a troll. You made no suggestion which language/framework choice is better (which is the original question). Not nice, regardless of your status or post count...

To the OP: You are probably safe going down either route (.Net or Java), just get really good at whatever you choose. Most employers recognize the guy who actually understands what's going on in an application over the guy who just googles snippets and hack'n'slashes things together. Try to be the former and expect to climb the corporate ladder.

@skatamatic what you expect given one sided opinion on 5 years kid asked why he likes sweeties instead of broccoli. Beside if you not troll you will leave your comment with out and wait for someone else to up-vote you if you believe that you did nothing wrong.
PS: Googling is essential at the beginning as long you understand what you trying to achieve.

@himanshu091 what you been told could be correct in your country, but wouldn't held for example in Europe as if you can prove you have strong interest in the field (participating in open source project, running your own pet project, blogging about latest stuff) you have chance. It was my case, when I ended uni and got interviews and job offer at the end without any previous work experiences in the field

I don't even know how to make a 'Hello World' app in java, and I make more money with a 2 year technologist diploma writing in C#, VB.Net and VB6 than a Mechanical Engineer with 7 years experience and a nearly complete masters degree that also works for my company.

Well of course you do. Computer scientists and programmers can easily be much more productive than most mechanical engineers.

I also heard from my seniors that DOT NET has no scope in future,and JAVA being an open source nw...is far better as compared.
it has put me in confusion plz help..

I feel you're beginning to listen to irrelevant words. Follow your desire. You know what works best for you and your own knowledge capacity. The thing is, yo may even do something better in .NET than someone who claims to be using java or the other way round. All what matters is you, you and you

Goodluck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.