Hi, I not long ago create a youtube video titled "How to RTFM for Dummies" and so far I have 10 dislikes and 0 likes from 59 views. So does this mean people don't like to read the manual anymore or is it that they don't like being told to read the manual. I thought it would have made a perfect video but looks like people don't like watching videos on how to read the manual. Any feedback on your reasons as to why you might give a negative response to a video titled "How to RTFM for Dummies"?
Also I have received on comment which is as follows:

Please sign me up for Dignitas

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I think you need to create a video about how to watch videos - har,har.

Actually, youtube comments are just plain nasty - there is nothing to be learned from the comments. The only places where the comments are nastier are on ace of spades or freeper. There is even a FireFox add-on to block youtube comments - so not to worry.

Cwarn23, is a chrome user so the firefox add-on may not be in his reach...lol
Grimjack is right, comments on youtube don't really matter. You should try other file-sharing site and if you get the same result, then you know there is something wrong with your presentation. You can't conclude on just one.

Keep up the good work and don't worry about haters(of the manual)

>> Any feedback on your reasons as to why you might give a negative response to a video titled "How to RTFM for Dummies"?

It's sort of hard to speculate about why people didn't like your video since you didn't post it.

>> Actually, youtube comments are just plain nasty - there is nothing to be learned from the comments.

True, the comments stink, but generally I find the voting itself to be valid. If you got all dislikes and no likes, that's very often a sign of a truly bad video. If you weed the death threats, racism, sexism, and anti-semitism out of the comments, there might actually be some constructive criticism in them that truly pertains to your video. Should one bother to care what someone who feels the need to add death threats, racism, sexism, and anti-semitism to his comments on a video thinks? Probably not. On the other hand, being a racist, anti-semitic, and a sexist doesn't necessary preclude one from being a good judge of what's a good video and what isn't.

It's sort of hard to speculate about why people didn't like your video since you didn't post it.

>> Actually, youtube comments are just plain nasty - there is nothing to be learned from the comments.

True, the comments stink, but generally I find the voting itself to be valid. If you got all dislikes and no likes, that's very often a sign of a truly bad video. If you weed the death threats, racism, sexism, and anti-semitism out of the comments, there might actually be some constructive criticism in them that truly pertains to your video. Should one bother to care what someone who feels the need to add death threats, racism, sexism, and anti-semitism to his comments on a video thinks? Probably not. On the other hand, being a racist, anti-semitic, and a sexist doesn't necessary preclude one from being a good judge of what's a good video and what isn't.

For those who want to see the video it is here.

Well, I didn't like it either. It was very boring and the speaker was uninteresting to listen to (monotone).

Well, I didn't like it either. It was very boring and the speaker was uninteresting to listen to (monotone).

I think it wasn't your speakers but just my voice is monotone.

I think it wasn't your speakers but just my voice is monotone.

Then get someone else with a better speaking voice to do the talking.

Then get someone else with a better speaking voice to do the talking.

Or would you recommend that I wear tight underwear while doing the tutorials?

commented: Yeah right, just don't forget the sprinkling of red ants. ;-) +0

LOL :)

I think you need to create a video about how to watch videos - har,har.

Actually, youtube comments are just plain nasty - there is nothing to be learned from the comments. The only places where the comments are nastier are on ace of spades or freeper. There is even a FireFox add-on to block youtube comments - so not to worry.

I searched youtube on "how to watch a youtube video" and found the following
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN2dElC8D58
I think it's hilarious.

Just out of curiosity,

1. What's your nationality?
  2. Was there any sound mixing or computerizing of the voice or was that a pure human voice?

I detect an Irish brogue in there, but as AD points out, it was monotone.

Just out of curiosity,

1. What's your nationality?
  2. Was there any sound mixing or computerizing of the voice or was that a pure human voice?

I detect an Irish brogue in there, but as AD points out, it was monotone.

I'm aussie (Australian) and I speak like a natural nerd. And yes it was a pure human voice with no special effects at all with no alterations to the video. eg original file uploaded. So I guess I just have a very crappy voice because on the better quality settings my voice sounds no different. :)

So does this mean people don't like to read the manual anymore or is it that they don't like being told to read the manual.

After decades in the computer industry, I can assure you -- people never liked to read the manual.

Maybe you could take example of this one about PowerPoint: http://norvig.com/Gettysburg/index.htm

P.S. Please do not read my signature, I am not native speaker. ;)

Maybe you could take example of this one about PowerPoint: http://norvig.com/Gettysburg/index.htm

P.S. Please do not read my signature, I am not native speaker. ;)

Did you make that powerpoint. Good job. I guess you rely on the spell checker a lot. Good start to somebody who is just learning English so they can post on these forums.

That is norvig's example on how not to use PowerPoint. My post I was referring is in my signature 'Home work challenge :)', it is not quite RTFM, but could be RTFW (W=web= DaniWeb and Google), sorry about Pythonic bias, but it was posted in Python forum, when I got fed up with certain posts in the forum (spefically the post one week before trying to 'challenge' regulars to do home work for him)

I tried to make kind of DaniWeb for Dummies post.

Hi, I not long ago create a youtube video titled "How to RTFM for Dummies" and so far I have 10 dislikes and 0 likes from 59 views. So does this mean people don't like to read the manual anymore or is it that they don't like being told to read the manual. I thought it would have made a perfect video but looks like people don't like watching videos on how to read the manual. Any feedback on your reasons as to why you might give a negative response to a video titled "How to RTFM for Dummies"?
Also I have received on comment which is as follows:

Thanks.

I think you are losing out on the charm as seen in this tutorial. ;-)

I think you are losing out on the charm as seen in this tutorial. ;-)

With a voice like that you could do anything. Pity I haven't got such a great voice. I must be the mutant of somewhere between my mother and my fathers voices which turns out not that greater voice. How I hate evolution.

There are sound software that made your speech beautiful.
I suggest you to use a one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.