Hi All,

I'm completely new to the community and wanted to say hello. I've been a general sys admin for many years but was assigned a project which has led me to learn ASP.NET 4 and C#. I'm also using/learning Entity Framework and my EDM was built from an SQL database. I have found the learning curve to be extremely frustrating and definitey outside my comfort zone during 3 months of slow development, but I'm finally making headway, and those days when the code works are awesome. I am getting more and more of those! I have no doubt that I'll need some more help along the way, and hopefully, I may be of help to those who know less than me. (Is that possible!)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Welcome to Daniweb!

hello and welcome. I also came from a strong Sys Admin/Network Administration background. About a year or so ago, I began having an interest in Web Development.

I also picked up ASP.NET/VB first without having a strong web dev background. My suggestion to you is to start with the basics in this order. Its going to help you in the long run.

HTML 4.01
CSS
JavaScript
jQuery
ASP.NET

Then pick up HTML5 and CSS3

Welcome to DANIWEB, you'll learn plenty here!!!!

Welcome aboard! That's my background as well. I started out as a system admin/IT technician to get my foot in the door and then moved to software development with a focus on .NET and C#. Yes, the learning curve is steep, but that's half the fun. ;)

Hi and welcome to DaniWeb!! :) James, you started with the sysadmin/IT tech route? I never knew that.

James, you started with the sysadmin/IT tech route? I never knew that.

Yup. I always had an eye toward becoming a developer, but my first career path was on the IT side. In fact, I think that experience is very valuable in my current position because I consult with IT departments often. It's handy to be able to speak their language and actually know what I'm talking about. ;)

Thanks for the welcomes! Much appreciated.

welcome to daniweb!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.