of course, the penalty should always match the crime.
When you tie someone up and burn his house around them you should be burned at the stake.
When you electrocute someone, it's the electric chair.

Makes for variety, which makes for good entertainment (and prevents the job of executioner from becoming boring).

cool so some one agrees wit me

public executions make for great entertainment. It also gets kids away from playing Doom 3 or watching violent movies and they still get their dose of blood and gore, so both the people wanting to stop kids from violent videogames and movies and the kids themselves are happy :)

public executions make for great entertainment. It also gets kids away from playing Doom 3 or watching violent movies and they still get their dose of blood and gore, so both the people wanting to stop kids from violent videogames and movies and the kids themselves are happy :)

But not all kids are as morbid as I was. I once tried making my own execution cap with foil and a few wires. I decided to try it, so I stuck the cap on my head and the wires in the light socket. All I remember is waking up on the other side of the room. (Not really, but it would have been cool)

But not all kids are as morbid as I was. I once tried making my own execution cap with foil and a few wires. I decided to try it, so I stuck the cap on my head and the wires in the light socket. All I remember is waking up on the other side of the room. (Not really, but it would have been cool)

I wish I was a kid again. :rolleyes:

This is the question that has no right answer.

If one thinks religious (chatolic) then one must say that no man can judge if another man lives or not for it is Gods to judge.

If one is driven by sence of justice then one must ask himself about eutanasia also. The means are same but the judge is oposit.

In religion there's a difference between Murder and Execution.

Also in Murder and Killing

Also in Murder and Killing

I consider killing == execution ;)

"Every day you wake up you are one day closer to your death, except one."

- God in "Mighty Bruce"

In religion there's a difference between Murder and Execution.

Depends on religion, alltghouh they all are similar at this field.

In Bible God says:"...vengeance is mine!"

I don't think Revenge and Punishment have the same root meaning.

The difference is in a personal goal.
The source (crime), means (a way to kill) and final act (death) are same. And the final act is (according to bible) God's exclusive privilege.
God is not democrartic.

Read Genesis 9:6

This is the question that has no right answer.

If one thinks religious (chatolic) then one must say that no man can judge if another man lives or not for it is Gods to judge.

If one is driven by sence of justice then one must ask himself about eutanasia also. The means are same but the judge is oposit.

Actually the Bible does not say Not to Judge... It says Judge not lest you be Judged... which means: Judge only if you are prepaired to be judged in the same way.

Actually the Bible does not say Not to Judge... It says Judge not lest you be Judged... which means: Judge only if you are prepaired to be judged in the same way.

I wasn't quoting the Bible. I was stating it's policy.

I like Hammurabi's Code.

An eye for an eye. etc.

Do I want to keep a killer alive, as he or she occupies space in jail, requiring resources to keep he or she alive?

No. In most regards, it would be beneficial to simply kill the killer back.

What an interesting topic and it does not seem to have degraded into a flamewar yet - yay!

I have been against the death penalty for a long time but I have had to question that stance. Ted Bundy made me believe in the death penalty. He killed women; he was caught, he escaped, he killed women, he was caught, almost escaped, tried to bargain for his life by saying "if you don't kill me, I will tell where all the bodies are", wiser heads prevailed and they burned him on the elec. chair.

But otherwise, I still think that the death penalty is wrong on 99.99999% of the cases it is applied to. I guess I am still waffling on this.

Politically ,I say kill a convicted killer .
Religiously ,Feed the bastards to Daniels' lions

I say no to death penalty. Everyone deserves a second chance. Even criminals are human after all. But if ever they blow their "second chance", then OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!:mrgreen:

I say no to death penalty. Everyone deserves a second chance. Even criminals are human after all. But if ever they blow their "second chance", then OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!:mrgreen:

Study some statistics and you'll see criminals waste their second chance almost everytime... Especially those that commit high level offenses.

so we sacrifice a second inocent person to prove the system right !!

There are some crimes that would "justify" this in my opinion. There are certain people who just don't deserve to live since they're a perpetual menace to society

^ Agreed.

Also, I think it tells us somethin when crimes punishable by death have evolved in most forms of society seperately, even remote Indian tribes.

This tells us somethin..

^ Agreed.

Also, I think it tells us somethin when crimes punishable by death have evolved in most forms of society seperately, even remote Indian tribes.

This tells us somethin..

Right on, that's something that transcends religion culture even politics. That peoples from all around the globe come to the same conclusion==common sense. Are you really your brothers keeper if you let this person kill again?

I believe that if you KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt(and I'm talking way beyond) that this person did it then by all means flip the switch... Locking them up for the rest of their lives is more cruel (IMHO) than just recycling them. Really, no hard feelings just don't need you taking up valuable Oxygen.

As far as the religious aspect goes we can't really kill'em (How do you kill an eternal soul?) we're just sending some defective equipment back to the manufacturer... bye bye, don't let that 13th dimension hit ya on the ass on your way upstairs...

morally (i'm not religious) i believe it's wrong to take another life

practically wrong because too many mistakes have been made in the past and 20/20 hindsight is no good when the switch has been pulled

morally (i'm not religious) i believe it's wrong to take another life

practically wrong because too many mistakes have been made in the past and 20/20 hindsight is no good when the switch has been pulled

I agree. As they say, 2 wrongs don't make it right.

I'd say it depends on the nature of the crime. If the criminal has done something violent, like murder or bodily harm, with the intent of doing it again, he should be imprisoned indefinitely.

If he rapes a woman, he should be forced to undergo hard, rigorous labor for atleast 20 years. If after this time, he shows a violent disposition, or is a threat to society, he ought to be hanged

If he rapes a woman

What if he rapes another man? :mrgreen:

ewwww

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.