i recently bought a used laptop because my old lap, which btw gets the same BSOD message and has been running linux for over 5 years reacted poorly to my resizing the lvm and gave me hours of dbus I/O sr0 errors. so I saw a dell larrirude on amazon for $93.00. It was running windows 7 pro . It on;y had 1 360 gig drive no webcam and no 10 key. so I thougjt I would download a new linux os for the laptop i killed. but it wasn't booting to any of them. so I found a lightweight os that installed from windows. I partitioned off 25 gigs and installed it on my new to me laptop. Mainly to determine if it was the old computer or the new ones image burning capabilities. i installed it. it worked fine i went to boot up windows and it went into recovery mode. i tried system restore and windows vanished. i tried a few different things nothing was working linuxconsole also crashed so i installed centos which is workimg I put the working hard drive im the old laptop because It has two hard drives and I wanted to see why windows was gome. I had found an old barte PE disk and installed it on the old laptop before the new one died so i thought maybe i could fix it that way. what I found was windows 7 is still there rhe drive letters have changed. iand they will not let me change them backand now when i try to use the barte cd it comes up with the same BSOD codes...what have I done?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

"That's not good."

Before you do much of anything try to get your W7 CDKEY out with MAGIC JELLYBEAN KEYFINDER. It's free and you need this in case of a meltdown of the W7 OS. You can find W7 ISOs so I won't write about that.

Lattitudes are usually pretty tame laptops so this is not a good sign. Try another bootable OS (Linux) but other distros. See if the BIOS is current too. Using old BART's or old Linux to me is not what I'd do. I'd try current releases.

LVM is well known for losing a linux install. So I avoid using it and use the standard linux boot system like grub2 or syslinux.
Windows likes to overwrite any other operating system. To get the hard disk going again you might have to delete all of the partitions. Then reboot the computer and start the install from scratch. I've found it's better to install Windows first, partitioning with disk space free for the linux install.
I usually use Linux Mint or debian linux. There is also Antergos which is based on BSD not linux.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.