I would like to introduce and tell you a little about myself. My name is "Curtis Bridges" but I like and have always been called "Curt". I'm 49 years old. I have been happily married for 31 years. I am very proud to be the "father" of an architect and a contractor. I must brag about a 5-year-old "grandson" and a 2- year-old "granddaughter", that keeps me "on my toes".
On March 17, 1999, while working as a superintendent for a large underground utility contractor out of Denver CO (Texas Division) I suffered a "Giant Basilar Aneurysm" requiring emergency surgery and leaving me paralyzed. Coming out of surgery and after a month in "ICU" the only movement I had was the ability to blink my left eye.
Originally being from Jefferson City, MO and having two sons and many relatives here, I was flown back to MO, by an air ambulance for eight months of extensive "inpatient therapy" and one year of "outpatient therapy" where I regained partial use of my left hand and learned to talk again (though not very well). So here I sit, today confined to a wheelchair. I was fortunate to be left without any "memory loss".
My voice is very soft and hard to understand therefore I speak through an electronic speech enhancer connected to speakers on my wheelchair.
After the past several years of being paralyzed, I have noticed that if you don't keep up the "pace" with "current events and technologies" this "big ole rock" we call earth, will pass you by and never even slow down.
I think by furthering my education, it will help me keep pace with what's going on in the world and not just my little corner.
I realize it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but I'm trying to learn C++ as a way that I can work from home. I'm sure I will need much help. I look forward to working with you.

Curt Bridges

Anonymusius commented: Much strength +1

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Wow, what a story. I admire your strength that you still want to make the best of it. I hope you'l get what you want to find here. I'm sure everyone wants to give you support.

Welcome to the community!

Yeah. You have real guts. Sounds like you are going through a phase our own Davey went through some years back. We sure will give any help you need in your C++ studies. Welcome.

Hey Curt, welcome to DaniWeb. I can certainly sympathise with you, having been through the whole brain illness, lengthy hospitalisation, paralysed in a wheelchair thing. For me the wheelchair was home for many years, and my memory loss and loss of mental function thankfully much shorter.

I was very fortunate to eventually regain all my physical function, but am sure I would have gone mad had it not been for the help, support and friendship I discovered online back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I wish you well, and if ever you want to chat about stuff I'm never far away in the virtual world at least :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.