Has anyone here heard of the Icelandic author Hallgrímur Helgason? He has written the book "101 Reykjavik" (it has been made into a movie) and also the book "Hella."

This is a quote from his website (http://www.bokmenntir.is/rithofundur.asp?cat_id=640&author_id=40&lang=8):

Hallgrímur Helgason was born on February 18th 1959 in Reykjavík. He studied at the Art Academy of Iceland from 1979-1980, and at the Art Academy of Munich from 1981-1982. Since then, he has worked as both an artist and writer.
His first novel, Hella, was published in 1990, followed by several others, as well as one collection of poetry. His novel 101 Reykjavik (1996) drew immediate attention and was subsequently translated throughout Scandinavia, Europe, and England. In 1999 it was nominated for the Nordic Council´s Literary Award. A movie of the book, directed by Baltasar Kormákur, one of Iceland´s leading film makers, was produced in 2000 and released worldwide. Baltasar also adapted Hallgrímur's novel, Þetta er allt að koma (Almost There) for the stage. It premiered at the National Theatre of Iceland, directed by Baltasar, in 2004.
Hallgrímur´s diverse body of work includes plays for both radio and theatre, essays on society and culture for various newspapers, as well as performing stand-up comedy. As an artist, Hallgrímur has had over 20 solo exhibitions in Iceland, Boston, New York, Paris, and Malmo, Sweden; and has been included in over thirty collective exhibitions across the globe.
Hallgrímur Helgason lives and works in Reykjavik.

Just asking, because I'm related to him, along with Sigardur Helgason, professor of mathematics at MIT.

I am just now beginning to dig deeper into my Icelandic herritage (i'm 75% Icelandic, born in Reykjavik, brought to the United States when I was 3 months old).

Post here if you've heard of him, read his book(s), or seen his movie. Also, post anything about your herritage that you think might be cool to know (famous/well known relatives, etc...).

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

he has a really cool name

Lol... It's Icelandic (derrr...). My grandfather's name was (he passed away in 2004) Jon Halldor Helgason (that's where I get my middle name, Halldor).

Thank you! But this, as your first post? Welcome to Daniweb!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.