Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by John A

I like debian again now etch is out. I use it for my school laptop (used to use centos 4.4) and my LAMP server. A full Gnome desktop (tweaked out) uses only 58mb RAM of RAM on my laptop, miles better than ubuntu

However, ubuntu does own debian when it comes to a: look b: plug and play and c: media (got to love easyubuntu). Also its only 1 cd. Etch comes on 4 DVDS!. I use ubutnu onall my desktop pcs

i'm starting to go with sled now, everything just works so well with it, but for low end machines, debian is probably the best.

Yeah, debian or CentOS rule for old machines. Slack used to be good but 11.0 is slow IMHO and also once you try apt, you never go back.

no offense to any one, but slack is just for really big nerds who have nothing better to do.

It used to be good for building oses for low spec machines though (you can choose individual packages) but like i said, IMHO the current version is a bit slow.

I dislike SLED. It never played nice with my wifi card.

In the past year, I've used ubuntu, red hat, debian, and mandriva.. Ubuntu was my favorite by a long shot, and it is the only linux distru I use today. It's just so much easier to use than the others.. Especially for linux beginners

Yeah, i would never use it for a server though (for that i use debian etch netinstall) as its based on devel packages and uses sudo but for a desktop you cant beat it.

Sles might be a bit bloated for servers as its GUI by default. Fedora is also a bit too cutting edge for my taste but RHEL/CentOS are good

yeah, sles is geared towards enterprises and i do agree fedora is too cutting edge, i've actaully never used centos, i'm goint to try it right now.

CentOS is Redhat Enterprise except free. Version 5 roughly = bits from Fedora 5/6 and Version 4.4 roughly = bits from Fedora 2/3

centos could find my scsi drive in vmware, so i had to change it to ide, now it seems to be installing.

Which version do you have, 4.4 or 5?

CentOS 3 and upwards install fine on my SCSI Compaq Proliant Server.

4.3?

Did you get that off thier site?

4.4 is the most stable. 5 is the newest but most people wont switch until 5.1

I got it off my schools website. We get access to most microsoft's products like windows server enterprise, dos 6.11, exchange 2003, visio 2007, random software like that.

The trend is not surprising at all. Debian has a niche for servers, being that it runs older, more stable packages. Ubuntu has more appeal for desktop users and is making a name for itself in its attempt to draw users from the Windows userbase. However, few sysadmins will be willing to use Ubuntu as a server for a while, mainly because of it's use of new and not as proven packages (notice the security alerts for Ubuntu on the Google Trends page). There are a few people who used to use Debian for their desktop who may switch to Ubuntu.

only reason i use ubuntu over etch is that it has EasyUbuntu and Automatix and is livecd and 1cd.

Listen Debian people if you are reading - 1cd! - Not over 10!

debian has like 21 cd's, or like 6 dvd's, i'm doing a debian network install and it's been about a day, it's only at 11%, or 12% I haven't checked.

A day?

If I choose:

Standard System
Desktop
Laptop

It takes like an hour on 2mb?

A general purpouse server with no gui takes about the same

well here's my setup,
Internet------>modem------>router----->computers
|
|
10baset hub
|
|
computer and servers.
so i need to either get a 100baset hub or a switch

>Listen Debian people if you are reading - 1cd! - Not over 10!
Since people who are downloading Linux probably have broadband internet anyway, it's probably not much of a stretch to choose the Debian NetInstall CD, which usually saves you downloading, because you are only forced to download the packages you actually need.\

My favorites for servers: Slackware, Gentoo, and Debian. All solid and reliable, and have a pretty wide range of machines that they can run on.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.