I was wondering if anyone knows how to accomplish this, that is the simultaneous operation of several computers on a single task.

I'm curious, because I have several older desktop boxes, and I kinda thought it would be really cool to network them together and figure out a way to parse out jobs between them so each computer can work together as if they were a single computer.

If this isn't possible, then is there any way to do something similar?
Thanks, all!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

As usual, JP, you have insane amounts of varying random knowledge.
So this PVM separates out a process to be done simultaneously in several computers? This is sweet, but how hard is it to program something to work simultaneously on several computers with PVM?

>As usual, JP, you have insane amounts of varying random knowledge.
If you're referring to Google, then yes, you are correct. ;-)

>So this PVM separates out a process to be done simultaneously in several computers?
The way I understand, you would probably split up your program into threads, which you would send to individual computers for processing.

>how hard is it to program something to work simultaneously on several computers with PVM?
Probably not much more difficult than multithreading. After all, PVM takes care of the core networking, so all you have to do is use its framework. However, I've never used it before.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.