I don't know a lot about the topic so I thought we could explain it and discuss it. A lot of people don't know that in addition to sound waves and light waves, gravity is also a wave itself. It's just a very weak wave. We also know this is true because of black holes' effect on light. It appears as though there are two identical bodies in space when in reality we are looking at a black hole that is bending the light of an object around us to appear as two objects when it reaches us. Black holes are obviously much more dense than objects such as Earth. But Earth has gravity too and also has an effect on light. That's what the discussion is about. Also the force of electricity and the force of gravity equations are so similar but there still hasn't been a link found between the two yet. Here they are.

Things in parentheses are subscripts

F(electricity) = K(c)[q(1)q(2)]/d^2

F(gravitational) = G[m(1)m(2)]/d^2

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

damn dude.. have you actually learned about this kind of stuff in school? I never have.. so I have to do research about these topics online, and I am always surprised, amazed, and confused at my findings lol..

But yea, I don't know much about this other from the relativistic standpoint.. and I'm going to be an engineer major next year.. pff lol

Yeah, well the seniors at my school get our a few days early and since my Physics Honors class is primarily meant for seniors the juniors in that class take the finals with them and then the last few days its just us and we talk about stuff like theoretical physics. If you find anything with your research post it here.

i thinking of taking physics to uni, but i'm more of a space person, wondering how black holes work, life of stars, etc.

"gravity" isn't a wave -- in the same sense, electric fields are not waves. It's variations in gravitational fields that propagate. For example, the variations in gravitational fields created by a binary star system, or by the Sun-Earth system.

Gravity waves still exist, just as electromagnetic waves exist. The thing is that we don't know a whole lot about it. Just like we don't know a whole lot about electromagnetic waves: why they act as waves and particles, but we still call them waves because of their characteristics.

Gravity waves still exist, just as electromagnetic waves exist.

Did I come across as if they didn't? :-/

We _do_ know a whole lot about electromagnetic waves, but I'm sure curiosity can never be satisfied :)

Electromagnetic waves are still too complicated for me to just understand that they act as both a particle and a wave. It's not that I can't grasp the concept, because I do. I just want a better explanation for it.

think of electromagnetic waves in the sense of photons, slightly easier to grasp.
We have just done Quantum Behaviour in my physics AS course, superposition and things.

Did they teack you anything about gravity waves, or blackholes, or theoretical physics yet? If you know anything post it here.

Gravity is not caused or propagated by gravity waves. Gravity waves are disturbances in the gravitational pull experienced at any point , which are caused by the motions of large masses.

Gravity is completely explained by the effects of relativity and the motion of space through the time dimension. Gravity is the drag induced when motion through time tries to make parts of rotating or vibrating particles exceed the speed of light. Because they are not allowed to exceed the speed of light, they bend space instead.

Set for 2013. It's very interesting stuff. I want to see how that goes. 2013 just seems so far away though.

Yeah, 2013, so we can detect more stuff out there. I wonder if any of this research and effort will hit mainstream applications. I don't think I have the mind to figure out any, but I guess I coiuld sleep on it. Maybe while observing enough about them we may gain insight on how to engineer gravitational waves. Who, knows, maybe someone already does. No, Im not insinuating aliens, but maybe private researchers and engineers. I wonder if this has anything to do with a topic called scalar interferometry in applications for engineering weather anomolies? Maybe not. But Im just saying........could be.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.