Hey people,
i just installed ubuntu 7.10 on a latitude d610 and i am trying to get kismet on it. i installed it, but i get an error in the config file at the line where i choose my driver and hardware source... i currently have
source= ipw2200,eth1,kismet
is there something wrong with that? im pretty sure my wireless card uses ipw2200 and is on eth1. any suggestions? oh and i can see wireless networks without kismet, so it is something in the config file.\
the error is
Support for capture source type 'ipw2200' was not built.
do i need to install some driver? i did got a driver from a site listed in the readme file but i do not see why i should have to install it if my wireless card works without kismet. If i need to install it how would i do it?
Cheers
M

Recommended Answers

from what I understand of it, you need to install a patched driver to put your card into promiscuous mode. once in prmsc. mode, as long as kismet supports your drivers, you can packet sniff to your hearts content.

Jump to Post

All 3 Replies

from what I understand of it, you need to install a patched driver to put your card into promiscuous mode. once in prmsc. mode, as long as kismet supports your drivers, you can packet sniff to your hearts content.

Thanks, i fixed this a while ago though... but i dont remember what i did

a little question here. I'm kind of new to the sniffing game, and I'm trying to learn everything I can. I recently installed the latest Ubuntu on a VMWare virtual drive, yet I'm having a little problem with the new Linux learning curve. I don't really know how to compile Kismet, or any other file really. And even if they are compiled already, I'm having a hard time running them with success. I figured out that I should probably enable whatever I want to run as an executable, but I'm still a little baffled. Can anyone help me with some examples? If it's possible to give an idiot-proof example of how I would install a program such as this, or even this program in fact, it would be a great help. I'm a smart person, I just need a beginning example from somewhere so that I can begin to learn how to work Linux. I'm teaching myself here, and a little bump in the right direction will probably get me going well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.